Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Frilly and Funkie Challenge #4 Let Me Count The Ways..."But the Greatest of These"

February has been a tough month for our entire family. Snow in MinneSNOWta has kept the younger couple kids snowbound (the state is used to heavy snow winters and rarely closes down, but this winter has had relentless storms) until the roads could be seen enough to get them opened back up. A couple of years ago, the ChiefHubby and I headed NW out to Montana (the younger set went out that way to Yellowstone on their own just before that), and we were shocked to find towns that had only 3 or 4 roads total that lead into or out of them. Complete with crossing guard arms that came down and blocked anyone from leaving the towns. We were told it just "wasn't done" because when a snowstorm began; staying in a town meant life or death. Homes out of town are all pretty faaaaaar out. For the life of me; I have no idea why anyone likes to live where it snows like that. I am a perpetual Summer Child, who was unfortunate to have been born in a state where extremes of hot and cold are the norm- sometimes within 24 hours. *ugh* And all that snow and cold brings another kind of COLD- the Flu kind. So while the Younger set was dealing with c-c-c-cold, down here, the rest of the family was dealing with c-c-c-croup! How it came to us was the usual way; someone who had it got close to ME. I have a very weak immune system that was discovered about the time I began going completely deaf at the age of 11, thanks to Rheumatic Fever. So when a germ is floating around....like a flea looks for a dog; germs hook onto ME. From there, while I died a slow, painful, and rather loud death, the germ managed to somehow pass to our older set of kids- though we had no physical contact other than they used our family room while I sequestered myself away in my deathbedroom. (They are awaiting birth of Baby Girl in March, so they hired people to come clean the house since they hadn't had that chance yet since they got moved in when Wittle Peanut was coming along.) And THEN; February took advantage of the WCF (Wind Chill Factor) and made having this illness WORSE...by passing it to my Grandson. That was my last straw. Meemaw Bear is still down with resulting infection (URI) from this crappy croup, but ...DO. NOT. TOUCH. MY. BABIES. Grrrrrrrr!!!!
        While getting this was not the first illness to be concerned with, tomorrow begins the real party- at the hospital getting some tests done to find out what the real problem is. We'll know more later, so I won't speculate nor go into any details. Just suffice it to say that getting this entry out on time has been PURE CHALLENGE. But it felt good to finally get in there last night and play!
So, on we go.....


On a trip to Hobby Lobby, I picked these up thinking I might use them for this somehow...

And then, a plan developed....and kept DEVELOPING while I couldn't get the plan MOVING
because I was so sick. I finally DID get a bit of the first part done last week.
This set of pics is from that.

After adding a layer of gesso to each; the matboard, (the matboard for the background of the Tag to use as a base since most of my plan was going to be layers of paper that needed a stiff background),
the cross wood piece, and the cardboard chip anchor....I began adding paint to the cross and modpodged real BIBLE pages to the anchor. I LOVE old books- and keep an old Dictionary on hand and also a very old torn BIBLE- just for this very purpose to use all those cool aged pages!

At first, I was going to use the new TH Faceted Heart Die as the cut for this project.
But, I also had another project going (next post after this) and was using my new-to-me TH Love Struck Die. I hadn't gotten to use it much at all, so I thought this would actually work better.
After layering 3x matboard, then front and back cuts of TH Coordinations Kraft Paper;
I tidyed up the sides with some Ranger Texture Paste and then
used a TH Distress Crayon in Picket Fence all around it. 
This helped it look as if I'd purchased this piece already done- but it's an original TIM SHAPE!!

Here's where the easy part came in that I've done for all my years working on school walls, projects for the kids and Teachers, or just for the fun of making my own thing: getting online and finding some free art pages to print out and use. I double up on the paper if it's just plain printer paper (I purchase a variety of weights and colors for this). I also use specialty papers: resume, wedding invitation, and other textures/weights. I use only Canon printers that use multiple ink tanks. 
So my options for what I want in a workable paper, are limitless.
HOWEVER: my very favorite paper to use above all: Tim Holtz's line of paper stacks, stashes, and esp GRUNGEPAPER!! Plus- no matter how you slice it- there's just NO reproducing 
Tim's Paper Dolls. If you're looking to 'save money' trying to do that; my advice: FORGET IT.
They just cannot be duplicated and get the same result as manufactured.
The TH Wallpaper made my first layer- another "must have" paperie!
I adhered it to both sides and then gave it a 'white washing' with Picket Fence Distress Paint.

Now, my fave part of this begins; distress inking and tearing,
then re-inking and tear again!


THE END RESULTS...

Front side of Tag shows the many layers I wanted built up for this...
only three layers make up the pocket itself.
The rest show up on the edges or down through the middle of the pocket.

Of course; a BACKSIDE!
Both sides show the edges of the TH Picket-Fenced Wallpaper....
grunged up with a bit of TH Oxides in Antique Linen and Vintage Photo- 
the same colors used to ink up the torn papers.


CLOSEUPS...


I absolutely love how the text shows up through the mod-podge- 
with TH Distress Inks in Chipped Sapphire and Faded Blue Jeans tinting the edges of "HOPE".

The "LOVE" turned out nicer by using the TH Alterations Love Struck heart because
the faceted Heart was much bulkier. This one tucked inside perfectly!

A couple of TH IdeaOlogy Index Clips holds the main word down on top,
while an updated TH Story Stick tells this 
"These 3 remain; Faith, Hope, Love, and the Greatest of these is LOVE."
is a 24/7 belief of mine.

The backside needed a bit of IdeaOlogy, too, so three Mirrored Hearts connected together 
with Jump Rings, are held in place with a Wire Pin.
You'll note very closeup: the holes of the middle heart were drilled diagonally-
just to break up the straightness going on with all the chaos of the wording 
in all directions.  

My favorite points of this Tag:
1) the colors and the texts going on,
2) the layers upon layers!
3) how I had to keep a mantra going over and over ; "Keep it SIMPLE."

It's all packaged up and ready for gifting to someone who teaches for our Wittle Peanut-
and she happens to be a Bestie. He'll give it to her Wednesday Night !
These are the 3 things that are the simple parts of what JESUS has given each of us-freely-
and she teaches kids on Sundays as well as Wednesday evenings. 
Her generosity in life speaks these 3 things loudly and clearly
as she shares with each person who crosses her path in life.
Oh yeah- and we have a lot of fun together, too....
while searching Pinterest for some ideas on how to open up a pocket like this,
and...well... you know PINTEREST... I ended up in blue things; 
Tags, stains, stamps, inks, you name it.
 I was very taken with the mermaid Tags that were shades of blue... 
and the seashells that made me take a deep breath and close my eyes, 
begging for that sunny beach! I must've been on that app a bit too long.
 Later that night- blame it on the meds-
I dreamed we were back on another cruise with all our other Besties, & she
was making us serve other people with little cakes we baked.
She comes out of the Galley with a new hair-do and wanted to know
what we all thought of it as she showed it off...
I didn't have the heart to tell her that she was the spitting image of
an Oompa-Loompa with blue coiffed hair that also had 
several shiney blue Christmas décor balls hanging in it.
Flu drugs, man. Drugs.


I'll give a huge SHOUTOUT here to those who started Following my blog: THANKS!!
I have no idea why I didn't put that up before, other than thinking "why would anyone want to
follow MY blog?" and then one day, I took a look at the stats....WOW!
So, I am happy not to be the only one who likes to peek in on certain blogs
because they are simply PHENOMENALLY talented Crafters posting on those!
You cannot imagine how humbled I am to think of anyone wanting to see MY art.
I give GOD the glory for that gift!
And, another SHOUTOUT for the SWEET COMMENTS!!!
It's push for the inspiration muse!
I will try my best to keep up in the coming months, but only ONE knows
what tomorrow may bring. I'll just take this next two weeks as it comes and see what's what.

Here's where I must remind you readers to take a trip on over to
where you'll see tons of other AMAZING craft talent!
Please feel free to join in, or even head over to the Sponsor's Store;
where you'll find just about all of Tim Holtz's line of products- and much, much more!

I'm pulling a late-nightery to get this post- as well as the next- both up.
So, see ya 'round, and meanwhile...

Stay Safe
&
HAPPY BLOGGING!!





3 comments:

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Such a fun pocket! And I love that passage of Scripture...lovely reminder of what love should look like! Thanks so much for sharing with us at the Frilly and Funkie "Let Me Count the Ways" challenge!

sarascloset said...

What a wonderful labor of love for your friend! I love all those paper layers and printed Scripture. I'm so happy you were able to complete this and share it with us at Frilly and Funkie! Hugs!

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful tag! I love the peeled back effect and the layers and depth! Wonderful design! Thanks for playing along with us at the Frilly and Funkie "Let Me Count the Ways" challenge!