Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Tuesday, October 8, 2019

The Funkie JunkieBoutique Challenge #21- Treats Not Tricks.... Goodie Treaters

   October is a favorite month of mine; simply because I was born on Sweetest Day (October 18th) in 1965. I'm not shy about my age because I can wear it like a crown- as a Memaw! Halloween is a favorite holiday for all our kids & while our boys were growing up, we kept it fun for them with weenie roasts and camping. When they were young, we'd have three or more of their Cousins around and things often happened: The Amish Werewolf, trips back to the cemetery here on our ridgeline, and changing our name from Larimore to Scarimore. On the flip side- less scary side- we were usually involved in our church's Trunk or Treat, and it has grown from 100 people to well over 800 attending. Try serving 800 people in 3 hours... HamnBeans, chili, hotdogs, and at least one prize per kid. Not to mention the candy and activities- the blowups are the fave. This year, we cut it down to just serving hotdogs and chips, because it takes days to make that much soup & we always end up running out around the 700th person- with hotdogs left over. The kids love the hotdogs best, of course, and we're trying to see if serving will go faster this way. Of course, the smell of those soups next to the corn fields is an awesome experience! 
        Since the T or T always takes place the third Sunday of the month, we still get to have Trick or Treaters at home, too. While our boys were growing up, we celebrated on both nights of the 30th and 31st- one at home and one 'away". Our door always had two tons of Trick or Treaters come knock on it. I always had to start buying bags of candy ( chocolate bars; aka "the good stuff") at least 2 months in advance. Each grocery day, I'd stick two more bags into the freezer. We'd easily go through ten bags in one night. The ChiefHubby would walk up and down the neighborhood with his late Cousin-in-law, Roy (married to my Bestie/his Cousin, Cindy), both sets of boys, plus the rest of the kids their age out here , and gather bags full of goodies that included cans of pop and brownies or bags of chips to munch on along the way. I'd stay at the door and pass out the treats while trying to guess the Tricksters! Then on the other night, we'd take our boys around to all the Grandparents' homes or others who asked to see their costumes. There were always parties in between and hay rides with friends. In more recent years, we've sadly had little to NONE coming to Trick or Treat at our door. The generation our kids grew with, all moved away. By the time our boys were in the HS marching band, I had begged for my trees out front to get T-papered, but other parents thought that was mean of their kids to do to me. I wouldn't have minded one bit! I'd have made them clean it up, but it would've been an honor to have our house- which basically was 'the neighborhood house' for all the kids to gather- with T-paper in the front yard. I don't ask, nor hope, for that anymore though. My time passed and now it's up to my GRANDKIDS to have it done to their parents' house. This old woman has enough to do, nowadays. And now the neighborhood is once again growing small kids whom I've loaded up on the candy for. If they don't come get it; I may gain back some of that so-far-27-pounds-lost-with-16-more-pounds-to-go-says-my-Doctor. My MOUTH won't mind, but my SCALE will.
   So yeah, it's safe to say that we enjoy Halloween. It's all about the KIDS and the CANDY!! And,
there's a little kid inside each of us- ready to snag a bite out of our little ones' "Boo Bag". The theme for my deadline to the The Funkie Junkie Boutique Challenge Blog calls for making some kind of container to hold candy for a Trick or Treater; leaving the tricks behind and concentrating on a cute way to present the candy prizes. This was right up my path because I already had a plan for making some for my Grandbabies, as well as some for my Sunday PreSchoolers. The 'trick' was to make something that was Haloweeny, but not exactly scary for smaller kids. 

                     Let's take a look where my Muse led me...


My choices were not just limited to those shown here,
but it seemed like a good start!
(FYI: I am still on the lookout for a good deal on the Tim Holtz Alterations Die; Pumpkin Parts!)

I didn't get to Tim's new Paper Stash in time for this, plus;
with kids ages 2 years to 5 years... it needed to be as simple as possible.
"Cute" was just expected to show itself as I went along.

While the burlap 12x12 pages were easy-peasy to cut and manipulate, 
I learned one thing NOT to try with it; punchers just don't fit.
But Tim Holtz Tonic Scissors worked VERY well!
Just a tiny snip and I was able to put the twined ribbon in both sides easily. 

The TH Alterations Die Pillow Box is a Movers/Shapers die, so any M/S smaller dies
will make any of their shapes you wish to add as a window on the box.
With small kids... keeping it simple will save this Teacher's sanity! 

The TH Thinlits Die, Layered Jack-O-Lantern has 10 pieces to each pumpkin head,
but the effects are worth it. I made an extra one with my originally-planned pop dots
for a future project. But, after some thought that these will be for 6 certain Grandchildren...
4 of them being aged 2 years and younger (one is due November 18th)…
my Annoying Muse said "ditch the pop dots from these", and I obeyed.

Using Velcro "tabs" from the label part of the TH Pillow Die, I was able to make it
stay secure for the traveling to the homes the combined 3 sets of grandkids live in.
The black cardstock I used, closes with Velcro and looks like "chalkboard" 
after adding the names to them with TH Distress Crayon in Picket Fence!
2 of the burlap boxes will have Baby Mummums (rice crackers) in them since one baby
will be just under 7 months and the other not even born yet as of Halloween.

And here's the FUN part I remember so well from 9 years of being a Room Mother;
FILL 'EM FULL!!
I used green ribbon and regular plastic treat bags to keep the candy fresh and
easy for Mom and Grammy Fasha to pull it out of the boxes.

And this is the result...

The burlap Treaters are soft and yet firm,
while the pillow box Treaters are easier to open by little fingers.
Names on the pillow boxes will happen after the kids show up to Sunday School
that morning, since not all are 'regular' and we may have guests, too.



There's more coming up in this month, and I've been working my booty off to get it all
done! I was able to finally decide on a couple of new dies- THANKS to
having just what I wanted- AND their generous SPONSORING of
a $25 Gift Certificate won from the random drawing 
with my entry

THANKS! to all readers: for taking the time to check in on my posts,
and for the AWESOMELY SWEET comments!!
I really do LOVE you all!! REALLY!!
I hope to see some NEW CHALLNGERS take the plunge,
and enter their projects - no matter what YOU think of your talent...
and I really think you will amaze yourself with what you can do...
it's all about SHARING!!

Till next time;
Be Safe &
HAPPY BLOGGING!



                                          

5 comments:

sarascloset said...

As always, I am renewed by visiting your blog; I love your stories! And I love your treat boxes! How festive and fun for your Grandbabies and Sunday Schoolers! You have once again blown me away with your creativity! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful treat boxes with us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique blog! Hugs! Sara Emily

Jenny Marples said...

Oh these treat boxes and cartons truly are wonderful Lyla! I love that you've added that burlap texture to the larger ones and will be filling them with all the treats your grandkids (babies and young ones) will enjoy. Thank you as ever for joining us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique Challenge blog x

Ginny @ Polly's Paper Studio said...

Wow these are so fun! Such a great addition to our challenge at the Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog. Crafty hugs from Ginny at Polly's Paper Studio!

Maggi said...

I LOVE your treat boxes and pillow, they are adorable!! I'm sure the recipients will also love them! Thanks for joining in my challenge at the Funkie Junkie Boutique blog!

Barb Turpin said...

That jack o lantern die is so worth it! The burlap boxes are a real keeper! I know what you mean about 'cute', my grandkids are 3 and 6, and then I have to think about the cards surviving the mail since they don't live close enough to deliver by hand. What a great project, congrats on your 'top pick'!