Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Friday, January 31, 2020

Mini Album Makers Challenge- January...It's a new idea for 2020!


     I've procrastinated for about a week and a half until this post is almost overdue! At the start of this year, I decided I would take up Autumn (Design Team) on her invitation more than a year ago, and join in on the Mini Album Makers Challenge Blog and give a try on making one mini album/mini book per month. There's a catch for myself in this, though; I want to make a second book as a gift for each of my Besties throughout the year 2020. These second books will likely be simpler and small enough for them to tuck into their purse or keep handy around the house to actually use them. I actually got this first set done early but put off posting it, until I was caught up with some other things still hanging on from December around here. Then, there's always LIFE barging in on me in my Craft Studio. And LIFE always wins out. In any case, it's done and I'm finally posting on the last day of January! So let's see where this first book came from...

I've been looking at album/book dies since...well...probably forever!
I've compared and asked questions of those who have used the ones I favored, and I finally
made the choice of Eileen Hull's Passport Die (Sizzix Bigz XL #660331).
Talk about HAPPY!! This die makes book crafting a breeze!! The sky really IS the limit here!
So at first, I was kind of just cutting shapes from the Tim Holtz Memoranda Stack,
as well as a few odds and ends from my stash of Americana loose sheets.
I did a little playing around with fitting the ends/flaps to see if I liked having them
tucked inside, or overlapping on the outside- either can be done.
I opted for tucking them into the inside covers on both books.

Then I got the idea of using some of my Christmas gift from a Bestie (Thanks, Cindy!);
some Tim Holtz IdeaOlogy Tissue Tape to keep the flaps stable
underneath the inside paper coverings.

I used a Tim Holtz elastic tie to add the first signature (I gather this is the correct
name for the stack of papers that is making each section of the books).
But then...as you'll see below....changed my mind on this.

From an idea of one of the DT Leaders...
I decided to go for broke and make a 3 way book right out of the gate.
This die makes it EASY to make differently designed books!
So I had this one going for a more difficult one to start with as a keeper for myself.
And if I goofed up- only I was going to have to deal with it. lol!

Here's the backside of the tri-fold.

Backside of tri-fold, opened up more.

I'd cut out quite a bit and did some serious scoring and folding, just to see
what kind of signatures I could come up with.
That's when I decided to take out the first tablet (blank paper) and redo it with hemp cord.
THAT was a funny experience: ordering hemp cord from Amazon because I forgot to pick it
up at the farm store while getting the pup her food.
Try it: type in Hemp String and you end up with
Hemp String FOR SMOKING. 
I'm a child of the 60's, peeps. But for the LIFE of me..... smoking hemp STRING?!
That was a new learning curve for me. And I shared that tidbit with my Besties
who looked at me like I grew 2 heads, till they looked at it on my cell for themselves. lol!
Anyway... NO, I am NOT about to light up my string!! 
I love using this stuff for wrapping, tag strings, sewing paper crafts, and it
makes the cutest little Graduation Cords with a bit of Distress Paints or Inks-
 they match perfectly in size with the Sizzix Doll Body for this!

Here's where I got another idea for the smaller book...
doubling up the paper on the covers, allowing me to put the ribbon inside 
the papers for tying the book closed.

Here's where I used some TH Distress Oxides to do a bit of aging the papers and covers.

And in tying the signatures of the tri-fold book,
I also came up with a design of hemp string on the spine!

In favor of keeping the outsides of the books smooth
(so they can be carried around inside a purse, if Besties so choose),
I opted for some simple stamping- Tim Holtz, of course.
That brand new set was from some WONDERFUL Crafty Sisters in their Destash Sale!!

And here's the results of my crafting...

FRONT VIEW

BACK VIEW















This book is for my Bestie Sandy;
we share of a love of horses, strawberries, Americana, and especially JESUS!
Her Wedding Anniversary was January 29th- HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

2 signatures of tablet paper with cardstock surrounds for a backing
 to add photos onto, if she likes. 



Thanks for stopping by to see this first Mini Album Set!
I hope you'll take a minute and check out the other makes on this
and get ready for February, too!
Until then...

Stay Safe and 
HAPPY BLOGGING!








5 comments:

Art By Wanda said...

Those are outstanding for your first trip into bookmaking!!! Really wonderful!!!! LOVE the binding on the outside!!!

Redanne said...

Both books are beautiful, I particularly love the tri-fold one! That is a great tip about using the tissue for extra strength. I really enjoyed seeing how you brought the books together. Thanks so much for joining in with us at Mini Album Makers January challenge. Anne x

bkazoo said...

Found your blog from the book maker challenge (congrats on winning). So glad you submitted your work and I was able to find it. Thank you so much for sharing.

Nancy Wethington said...

Beautifully created!

toni said...

Wow! You've done a fantastic job of these two journals! Fabulous covers and lovely additions to the insides. Love the way you have gathered in the hemp string 😂( also a sixties child ! ) , on the spine of your fold out journal.great idea! Toni x