Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Mini Album Makers Challenge: "She Sews Sails For Ships Along The Seashore" (What was also supposed to be Challenge #10 of The Funkie Junkie Boutique Challenge Blog)

While I was hoping to make this post in time for
 The Funkie Junkie Boutique Challenge- Sew Sweet
busted my little behind sewing my way up to the last minute with adding quite a bit of cute sewing details.
But my procrastination- and preoccupation with Morel Mushroom Hunting, as well as time spent out in my 
sailboat in these past 2 weeks- had me leaving my project laying on my desk and missing the deadline.
All's well in my crafting, but my timing really does suck.
Especially when I didn't realize Blogger decided to update and I was trying to fly by the seat of my pants
in learning the new layout. I really do hate updating anything anymore.
Although... updating a new washer will have it's perks; we ordered a new one, which will not be a Maytag this time.
The problem is that we thought the old one would keep spinning until the new one gets delivered. Riiiiight.
Always 'best laid plans', and those plans always get shot out of the sky on you... in threes, usually.
Didn't we already declare 2019 as "The Year of Replacements"?!
 (I've had FIVE Maytags in the past 20 years and I QUIT- 
we're giving up on their excuses as to why they wear out so easily for us.)
Not to mention the fact that this "Lock Down" is getting old...fast.
Now, don't get me wrong; our Cass County is still among the worst. It's third in leading positive COVID19 cases.
That's behind Indy and Gary. That's BAD. Really bad. And just as of this typing, there were 4 more cases.
Only 3 deaths, but still, ya know?
So I'm not complaining as in "Get me the H out of here, or else!" because it's still not safe for those
of us with compromised health. We all still need to stay chill. It's for the safety of ALL of us.
Meanwhile, I may get more TIME back: the ChiefHubby is FINALLY slated to go back to work
on May 18th!!! When you're a Homemaker, there's no such thing as "extra time". 
Every single day is a "work day" and the same things have to be done in order for the household to keep going.


Now, I may have missed out on TFJB Challenge...

BUT, I really nailed it this time for the
where the Design Team is not only using several book dies by Sizzix Designer Eileen Hull,
the PRIZE for the May Challenge is $35 in Eileen Hull's Etsy!
I'm pretty new with these dies, but I'm also totally hooked by them!
I've gotten 2 of her dies, since January, and most of my previous MAM posts have used the EH Passport Die.
Last month, I came across a good deal for another of her book dies and decided to use it for this May MAM Challenge
before they even came out with the theme. Now THAT'S great timing- for once, on my part anyway. lol

The die used is Eileen Hull's Pocket Notebook.
It's a nice, large cut for a book and the possibilities are endless!
The nicest part about this die: the holes just pop out all by themselves, making easy-peasy, quick work
in cleaning off the die for reusing in your die-cutting machine. I absolutely LOVE this!!
I do think the name of this XL Scoreboards Die is kind of misleading in a way; "pocket" makes it sound 
smaller, when it's actually larger than the Passport cut.
(Next on my "Want List": I'm hoping to get either EH's newest book die; Tiny Book, or her Journal die.)
Definitely a lot of FUN with these dies, and I've got more already cut out and waiting to be inked up
and stitched together. Just waiting on setting a definite theme to them... hmmm...

Here's how it came about...

I decided to open up that brand new stack of Tim Holtz Memoranda Paperie for this.
It has more full sheets and I can still use the old stack for scraps- which is really all that's left!

I also wanted to use more of that school notebook paper- found this tablet in with it all.

And some Bo Bunny Americana papers leftover from another project.

Some leftover cotton 'ticking' material- think Primitive Americana bedding- 
would make a cute sail for a boat on the front of the notebook.

Some machine stitching was easy to do... zig-zagging all around to form a simple long triangle.

Why not use Tim Holtz's Alterations Thinlit Die; Stitched Pockets,
and add a few of his Ticket Book tickets?

I thought the lace would look cute with a stitch running through it...
and a second cut of the book's back would make a cute pocket below that.

Stitching straight this time- for the pocket to the inside covers.

I used only one ink for the entire book- TH Distress Oxide Vintage Photo.
My simple, fave, go-to, must-have color of Tim's!

Instead of keeping the binding as it was cut (Eileen Hull's book dies have simple, clean lines
that make it easy to cut LESS, by cutting the book's cover with the book's bind attached.
I simply chose to cut this part off of both and add only ONE to the middle by using
TH Tissue Tape and a bit of Glossy Accents (for good measure) to create a loose-fitting bind.
It allowed the book to stay open easier for me. While this was my first time with this die,
I was taking a little advantage of the experience I've gained from Eileen's Passport Die.

Using some clear Duck packing tape to smooth out the closure elastics.
(Elastic Ties by Tim Holtz- IdeaOlogy)

More sewing- by hand this time- to attach the TH IdeaOlogy Word Band
by using some Quilting Thread. I find Quilting Thread more heavy duty and easier to use.

I also used the Quilting Thread to put together the selected pockets made that hold tags. 

Getting the boat itself put together- tie the threads to the 'beams'.



And here's what resulted...


Sewing on the sail.... where I got my title from.
My own real sail is actually a rugged plastic that is taped with sailing tape.
Aaaaaand...she really needs a new sail. Soon!



Sewing done with this pocket- by machine, and hand-sewing quilting thread on the closure.



Real sewing machine stitched pocket above and Tim Holtz's Stitched Pockets Die below.
And YES; there's a pencil holder cut in this die (very top of photo here), as well as a closure cut!

Tim's IdeaOlogy mixed in with some stitches on the sail, as well as on the closure.
The rope knotting is replica of my own on my boom sail tie.

The backside of the book.


Please join us;
you still have until May 31st to add your own book to this Challenge!

And if you're interested in more of Eileen Hull's dies, or designs...


May you have fair winds and following seas...


Until next time:

STAY SAFE, STAY CONNECTED, STAY HOME (until opening!), &
HAPPY BLOGGING!

No comments: