Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Monday, October 4, 2021

Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog- Guest Designer Week 1, October 4, 2021: Stamperia... Wonderful Memories With Stamperia Horses!


                                    https://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/?p=25419

           It's a new challenge over at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog, and I have the honor of Guest Designer for the month of October. To say I am thrilled is the least of it; I'm actually still pinching myself and trying to wrap my mind around the fact that there are people out there who like my artwork... that come with a big name like SIMON SAYS STAMP! It's so humbling to me, as I've always worked BTS and tried to just make it, turn it in, and move on to the next thing. For those of you who are new to my blog, my name is Lyla Larimore, and I've been crafting since I could cut with scissors in school. I would spend my play time designing and building my own doll houses for the dolls of the 1960s/70s. (Barbie, Ken, EMERGENCY!'s FF/PM Johnny Gage & Roy DeSoto- with Squad 51, Starsky & Hutch with the "Tomato" car, and Planet of the Apes...a motley crew, for sure!).
 My parents were factory workers here in Indiana, and would bring
https://www.simonsaysstampblog.com/mondaychallenge/?p=25419

home all the scraps they would normally toss out at work: cardboard boxes. end rolls of tape (the good clear packing kind I still use today), shipping string, broken box cutters (I'm a good fixer of broken things), stencils, and what would later become a household name- Sharpie black markers. I'd design a house, build it, and play out an entire story while my next-older brother, an exceptional drawing artist, drew it all in school tablets that got sold for $1 each. I loved doing reports in school that involved the use of paper art to explain something, and later as a Mom at the same school, spent most of my days decorating hallways for showcasing the makes of all 'my' 600 kids in the Elementary plus another 400 at the JH/HS level. I added my skills as a Photographer through all those 11 years to share with the parents of their children during the day at school  Like most things, that came to an end because of my health, I retired from all of that, 2 gifted Sons graduated, went off to college, got married, and here I am as a Memaw of the three cutest Grandbabies in the entire world! I'm still deaf, still have the heart problems, RA, and Fybromyalgia, but still crafting as long as the Good LORD will allow! I've added quite a bit of traveling in that, as well as sailing and being a general beach bum/wave rider during the winters- full time in Florida. Oh, yeah... I've still got the ChiefHubby along with; now full time in his own retirement. Lucky me. Lol!  You can read more about me by just taking a look at the makes on my blogposts. I pretty much make my art match in with what goes on in my life. 
So let's see what's up with this new SSS Monday Challenge: STAMPERIA!  
I'll be totally honest that while I have previously never tried Stamperia products, I have always wanted to! I've seen so many projects made from these sets and they all have 2 appealing points for me: clean lines and interesting themes! For the set I chose, Stamperia's Romantic Collection; Horses. the papers are all double-sided with clear prints that are easy to die cut and especially with fussy cutting. Not to mention HORSES! I mean, c'mon, who doesn't love horses, riding, and that smell of fresh hay as you walk into the barn to see that favorite, familiar head pop up over the stall door?! As you get to the photos near the bottom, you'll see how this set brought out the little dollhouse-crafting-kid in me once again!

I started with just these three items from the Simon Says Stamp store,
and easily matched up the colors with extras from my own stash of paper scraps.
Totally a win/win when you've got so many drawers of leftovers and you just want some cutups!

I had something special in mind for this Stamperia set- to use my Eileen Hull Folio Dies.



These papers are thick, sturdy, and printed clearly with awesome designs!

With some Black Soot Distress Paint, I was able to use these as silhouettes
to stand out against the light background. I ended up not using the Sage Paint. 



These were from the Collectibles pack- interactive little items for the horses!







And here's what I ended up with; an interactive "paper doll set"!



You'll note there is a bit of 'wrinkle' going on with the cover:
I wanted several layers to work with sturdiness but also needed a lot of flexibility,
I intentionally made all the edges of these layers meet flush so the 'wrinkle' could
allow it to lay completely flat when opened.
It worked, so I'm definitely going to try this again for future books,
instead of my usual trimming off the edges from layers.





The announcement shown in this photo has one of the photos I took of
my Bestie and her Baby, Seneca a few years back.





















This is a gift for one of my dearest Besties, in honor of her 80th Birthday!
Sandy took me right in under her wing at first sight, and then she gave me WINGS-
one of her very own precious babies, to have for my own!
It was my life-long dream to have my own horse, and it just never materialized with so many
other things going on. But Sandy shared Wings with me and while I tried for 2 years to
find a boarder nearby for her, no one seems to want to do that any longer.
Both Sandy and I ended up giving up riding full time, and she found a WONDERFUL family
who had the time to put into Seneca (Sandy's horse) and Wings- the time and
attention they deserved. I went with her to deliver them and Sandy just recently visited again.
I sorely miss my Big Girl, but she's happy and looking EXCELLENT these days!



   

              T
hat puts a wrap on Week 1 of 4 as Guest Designer for this CHALLENGE on
 
Join in with us and share your own STAMPERIA make on the SSS Monday Challenge Blog
and you could win:


Until next week...
Stay Safe &
HAPPY BLOGGING!

 
                                             Items used on this project can be found here:






4 comments:

Lorraine A said...

What a gorgeous and thoughtful gift to make for your friend! I am sure she will cherish this!! The horses are fabulous and I love how you made it interactive!! It must have taken you ages to make this but so well worth the effort!!
Love the photos of Sandy and the horses too ❤️

Thanks so much for agreeeing to be in the designer spotlight and I can't wait to see what you make for next week! :-)
luv
Lols x x x

Larimore2 said...

It’s a learning curve for me on posting, but the the GD spot…I am so humbly GRATEFUL for!!!
What an honor from a GREAT company of people & products!!!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

I appreciate the time, love and attention to detail you put in to create this magnificent album. Beautiful papers, your so brave for cutting into them. What a treasure this will be for your friend.. Congrats on your GD spot during October, I look forward to seeing more.
Creative wishes Tracey x

sarascloset said...

This is an amazing gift for an amazing friend! I'm sure she treasures it! And look at you on your OWN horse! I really appreciate the time you put into not only your wonderful makes but into your posts! While I did have to skim them a little bit this morning, it was a wonderful visit to start my catch up! Thank you for all your inspiration and hard work! Wishing you a wonderful Sunday!