Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Tuesday, March 8, 2022

The Funkie Junkie Boutique Challenge #5 Rather Blustery Day... Irish Queen of the Dusty Castle



     M
arch...certainly came blowing in around the world, didn't it? I'm doing a LOT of praying these days and I know I have a lot of company doing the same. While some may wonder how we Crafters can post such "frivolous stuff" during times like this, my answer is just like the choice of whether to laugh or cry; we MUST laugh, or we'll be perpetually crying. Thus, we can continue to just "do what we do" and my reasoning is that I don't block it out, nor ignore it all. Instead, I try to just KEEP FAITH, and keep on praying! And while I am praying, I will keep on doing what I do... until JESUS comes again.

     Spring really IS going to get to those up north...trust me! We see it blooming right here - as evidenced by my "Amelia Azaela" bush and my "Anna Banana Tree"- so it has to be on its way. The ChiefHubby and I finally made a trip down to enjoy a sunset. We live only 45 minutes away from the nearest beaches, but we've been so busy during the months here that we just haven't had the time. It was so beautiful and colorful, there just aren't words enough to describe it. The Gulf Water is finally feeling warm once again, and beautifully clear. But once that sun was down...Brrrrr!! The wind that we didn't notice much all day, suddenly became blustery, indeed! It felt as if the wind had chilled off the water once again. Spring, even blustery at first, is so welcome in the northern states, and most people just want to finally get out of the house and go somewhere. We're getting photos from both our adult sets of kids of the Grandbabies out and about, and it warms my heart from those blustery winds. (Grandbaby #4 stays nice and warm tucked away in-utero and won't get evicted until August,) 






   The NEW CHALLENGE, "Rather Blustery Day" over at TFJB Challenge Blog is all about March and the weather that comes with. (I find the title very fitting description for the times we are going through, as well.)  "Blustery" itself pertains to weather- strong winds. What comes to my mind is how difficult it is to not only brave the chill that strong winds can bring this time of year, but how hard it can be to simply stand straight in stiff winds. So "difficult" is the word I get from "blustery". Suzz, our DT Host for this one, describes it as Winnie the Pooh... "Pooh Bear struggled against the windy day" and for us to "share something you struggle with in your art". So, "struggle" is a good definition also and I can really relate to that! Here's the entire process to prove it!

Believe it or not: Stamping and Stenciling are my struggles!


You can find these main products I used by clicking on the product words:

Tim Holtz Stencils (for other stencils- mine was a special set)
Snarky Cats Stamps (for other Snarky Cat FULL sets)

So, I started out with these choices of Tim Holtz Distress Oxide Inks 
in Pine Needles, Iced Spruce, and Old Paper.

I wanted a middle that was lighter with edges that were darker;
smooth, but not too smooth.
I needed two; front and back sides of one Tag.
I like to be 'complete'.

My struggle with Stencils:
Should I use the entire thing, or just part?
If I use only part of the stencil, what parts, and where should I place them?
Do I rub for full color or just slightly for lighter coloring?
What stencil would look best with what I hope to make?
And the list of questions popping up in my mind makes me feel like
I am clothes shopping- which (believe it or not) I loathe! 99x out of 100: 
I simply walk out of the store without it.... delimna solved.
The struggle is real!!
Often, I will need to go look at some of the latest makes from my favorite TIM makers.  
This time, the above use of stenciling was inspired by Barbara Schiassi's make


Then I decided I didn't want the 3 hearts as they were made (as one stamp piece),
so I cut them apart. Yes, much better.... I think??
Because STAMPING is my other questionable STRUGGLE!!

Here's where I was looking at this and thinking
"this just sucks; something's not right,".
Not only was my stamping terrible, but the stenciling looked 'off' somehow.
So I tossed out the entire thing!

CONTRAST! The tossed-out Tags lacked contrasting color on the background.
And begin again is what I did- this time with Vintage Photo Distress Oxide Ink.

I used the old Tags for practice in stamping.
I was still not sure if my choice of stamping idea, let alone the stamp I chose,
looked right. But I at least felt better about the contrasting background now.

I got in more practice on a plain Tag just to test the idea of the stamp itself,
and did it look better with FOUR leaves on the Clover... or THREE??


Then, I got the idea of the Irish Flag colors and using one of the other stamp pieces in this
OLD Tim Holtz Crazy Things Stamp Set to make an Irish Flag for the Paper Doll dog's mouth.

So as NOT to use the USA stripes on the flag, I carefully covered the stripes with masking tape.

 Rub the masking-taped stamp onto the (TH Black Soot Distress Oxide) ink pad
FIRST, then take off the tape.
You have a flag without the stripes.
I know tricks like this and use them all the time.
Yet, I rarely use my stamp sets because I just can't figure out WHEN, WHERE, and a good HOW
to use them and make a cool project without looking at other people's use of stamps.
I really want to do it all on my own and come up with something COOL all on my own.

Anyway.... you get a clean stamp of a flag you can fill in any way you like.

So I began coloring in with Tim Holtz Distress Crayons 
in Cracked Pistachio and Dried Marigold.
And then....
I tossed all this out also- keeping just the Stenciled/Stamped Tag front and back set.
See? I told you I really do struggle with these two things !!!

I got out another Tim Holtz Stamp Set
(This set is very retired and most people find it hard to even list this type
of set since it's not on Tim's inventory at all! Yet they do exist and I am "lucky" to have a few of these!)

Yep; I pitched the clover leaf and the Irish Flag
in favor of the colors on a Tim Holtz Milkcap.
I added the OLD Stickles in Gold and Green for a touch of glamour on the Irish Queen.
You can find all NEW Tim Holtz Stickles Products at TFJB!



This is what became "Irish Queen of the Dusty Castle"...

I told my Bestie that "I don't believe in 'luck' because I know everything happens
for a reason- one we may or may not be aware of.
She replied "You are Living Under Christ's Kindness, though, so you DO belive in LUCK!"
I was stunned; she was right! It's exactly the point I was trying to make on this Tag!
You see...
we are all very BLESSED to live here in this country.
We have freedoms that no other country has.
We have a setup like no other country has. (Myeh...nothing is absolutely perfect!)
And when I was going about my day just recently,
I was complaining that no matter which house we lived in (Indiana or Florida); 
I still have the same old drudgery housework to do every day.
And then I thought:
HOW LUCKY I AM!!!!
I am the Irish (and Dutch, and German, and NAI- somewhere in there) 
Queen of this Dusty Castle!
It really DOESN'T get any better than that.
Especially when we look at the news happening on the TV set right now.



WHICH ARE BACK AGAIN AT THE FUNKIE JUNKIE BOUTIQUE!

I let her stay plain- aside from the Stickles in her hair and on her dress- 
and matching puppy collar for my HunniPi.




HUGE THANKS! once again for all the LOVELY COMMENTS!
Thanx! for all those who stop in for a peek- without commenting (I do that myself)!

You have almost 2 weeks for this Rather Blustery Day Challenge,
so get your entry done and entered
(BE SURE TO FOLLOW ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS CORRECTLY!)
and you could win in the random drawing for a $25 GC from
our Sponsor;

Also;
Check out Tim Holtz's newest releases that will be shipping SOON!
I'm SO excited!

Till Next Time...

Stay Safe &
HAPPY BLOGGING!!












 

6 comments:

Lisa Hoel said...

Amen! (and my castle is a bit on the dusty side too LOL) Your tag came out great!

Larimore2 said...

Larimore2 said...

;)

sarascloset said...

I always leave your blog with a smile on my face, Lyla! I love your tag, and lady, you are one after my own heart for sure! That Lucky flashcard was pulled out for my "She was a lucky woman" tag, but decided against it at the last minute. What a hoot! And as for your background, what a save! I do that, too, but we have to realize it IS a background and once the goodies are laid on top, it will shine! And as for clothes shopping, I'm with you on that, too! I would almost rather go to the dentist than to have to shop for clothes/shoes. As always, I loved reading your post and seeing your photos! Happy weekend!

Larimore2 said...

❤️❤️❤️

Janna Ketchum said...

Lovely creation! Yes, there is so much to think of in the world at large. This was an interesting read. It is so neat hearing about all of the different challenges we makers face and seeing how each individual works through their "Blustery Day" challenges. Happy Crafting!