Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Friday, June 3, 2022

The Funkie Junkie Boutique Challenge Blog's Saturday Showcase; Peach Tea Charms and Prima Marketing Watercolor Flowers: "There's Only One Me!"


     Happy Saturday to everyone! It's Lyla, here, for another Showcase on some pretty cool things that are just about 'staples' when it comes to crafting...charms and flowers! But these are just any old charms and flowers, they happen to be Peach Tea Charms and Prima Marketing Painted Watercolor Flowers and the splash they each brought to this project is just...WOW! I've never been much of a "flower" person when it comes to paper crafts; just looking through my blogposts can testify to that. I prefer real flowers growing outside, but my first time working with Prima Marketing flowers during my first Saturday Showcase (click here if you missed it ) I was quickly hooked on these! And then there's the charms that are out of the PM Peach Tea line... I'll just have to show you! Let's get started.

While everyone else has been going full throttle with Tim Holtz's Gladys and Thinlit Simple Plaid,
I just got started with them, so I decided to use them both as my "vehicle" for the flowers and charms.
You'll note that 1 charm is missing from the 6-count package; GrandDaughter Princess Chloe needed one to make a necklace after seeing the color and shine on these beautiful flower charms!

All four items came in one bunch of shopping at The Funkie Junkie Boutique .

The first thing I did was to get out some shades that were close- but not spot on- 
match to the Prima Marketing Watercolor Flowers.
I still had several panels leftover, so I chose a square for my base.

After choosing the shades of Distress Inks and Oxides, I got startted on the background.
"Sky" came first... by pouncing lightly with a round Mini Blending Tool to make subtle circles.

Then I opened up the DI Faded Jeans and used another Mini Blending Foam
holding the Mini Blending Tool at an angle so as to make arc-like strokes that I
wanted to resemble water/ocean.

I used the same techniques- holding the Blending Tools at angles or flat on,
to create sand/beachline, and tall grass. Those colors used: 
Distress Oxide Antique Linen and DO Pine Needles.

I went over it all again, until I was satisfied with the colors/ shapes.

I also deepened the sides a bit for depth.
At this point, I had no idea I was going to want a frame.

Next came making Gladys and George- the names I've chosen for my girl and guy.
I took out my stash of Tim Holtz Kraft Stocks for this job.

I wanted three birds- always an extra...jic.
The Colorize Thinlits are easy to folow since they are marked on the backsides.

After I had all the bird pieces, I wanted to make shirts for the birds- matching "tacky tourist" shirts.

I first made a 'pattern' by cutting around the body and the wing.
Then I used the white pattern to make the matching shirts from.

Here's where the Simple Plaid Thinlit Die came in.
I cut two lengths of the Plaid in a darker shade (for contrast), then used the shirt pattern
to cut another layer of shirts. Then glued the two layers together before putting the shirts together.

I was happy with the results because it looks cute yet "tacky" instead of going for Hawaiian shirts.

Next came making the Leis for Gladys.
I didn't want George to look tacky; Gladys is one of a kind and needs to stand out.

I chose only the 3-petaled flowers and set the 4-petaled flowers back into the package.
You'll see those again in another project, I am sure!
I have fallen in LOVE with these Prima Marketing Flowers!
I used a rounded sailing needle (I always keep them on hand because of my sailboat),
and strung each flower petal nearest the middle stamen pearl.
It was very easy to do.

As I strung each petal, I spaced them evenly,
 using a bit of Glossy Accents on both sides of the petal- right on the string.
*(I used a thin crochet string that can be used for needlepoint.
I keep an entire roll around in case of little needs like this.)

Yeah- it's tacky, but it WORKED!
I needed a circle that was the same size as the panel- which was also the same size
as the TH Classic Kraft 8x8inches.
I went to go get a plate or saucer, but saw this funnel and knew it would work.
Fit PERFECTLY!

This is the wrong side (Kraft side) of the Classic 8x8 Kraft Stock.
I simply used my pencil, then went in with my Mini TH Scissors.

Then, I backed that frame up with pieces of Mat Board- for stiffness AND 
to pop that frame out.
I added more pop out volume with Sizzix Double-Sided Foam.

Now it was all starting to come together even BETTER than I had in my plan:
the frame became the perfect "vehicle" for the Peach Tea Charms, giving it that
BEAUTIFUL Hawaiian punch of color!!!
Some plain gold stash brads helped hold them in the places I wanted,
while layering them together and hiding the brads; all at the same time!
A leaf from the TH Thinlits Set Tropical stood out as a compliment to the charms.

Here is where the palm and bushes came in....

I stretched out the palm tree by cutting more than one trunk and layering them for height.
Cutting more palm tree tops in different shades, and turning them around, helped fill out
the single palm top shown on the cover of the die set.
I did the same with some other leaves to form a bush. 
I do this all the time- it's one of my fave sets.

Some tools and materials are out of stash or very old items I have on hand.

My main materials and paper.


The resulting make is a fun look:

Yes, Gladys is ME. And her googly eyes describe how I usually can be when I am 
on a roll. Life is about being who I was meant to be- a bit wild, a bit crazy,
somewhat eclectically dressed, and usually always with a camera in my hands.
I seek out the warmth, sun, and waves, but have a penchant for creating with Tim Holtz stuff. ;)


Look at how BEAUTIFUL- and simple- those flowers are when put into a LEIS!

She's even got a flower in her hair!

George is staying in the background.

The Peach Tea Charms are just FABULOUS looking
and they are very thick and full of shine!

These Charms would make an excellent bracelet...which I do have planned!!


This Tim Holtz Quote Chip (Theories) says just what I needed on this panel. 

You can see how thick the frame ended up and made this panel into a type
of pop-out picture.


Thanks so much for joining me on another Saturday Showcase at

Please check out these links for items used in this project:

Prima Marketing- Painted Watercolor Flowers
Prima Marketing- Peach Tea Charms
Tim Holtz Distress Inks: Faded Jeans, Salty Ocean
Tim Holtz Distress Oxide Inks: Antiqued Linen, Pine Needles, Saltwater Taffy, 
Salvaged Patina, Vintage Photo
Distress Crayon: Salvaged Patina
Mini Tool Blender (round) & Mini Tool Blender (round) Foams
Tool Blender (rectangle) & Tool Blender (rectangle) Foams
Tim Holtz Tonic Tools: Mini Scissors, Cush Grip Scissors, Cush Grip Sheers,
Glass Media Mat, Retractable Craft Pick, Sanding Grip
Glossy Accents
Sizzix Double Sided Foam Sheets
Tim Holtz Thinlits Dies: Gladys, Simple Plaid, Tropical
Tim Holtz Paperie: Classic Kraft Stock (8x8), 
Kraft Stock Stack (Cool, Neutrals, Warm), Quote Chips Theories















No comments: