Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Friday, July 1, 2022

The Funkie Junkie Boutique's Saturday Showcase: Box Hardware and Charms... Ahoy! It's a Treasure Chest, Maties!



    Happy Independence Day weekend! It's Lyla here, and I'm taking you with me on a treasure hunt! So many times, when I'm shopping for craft items, I get all the 'big stuff' and often forget to get the smaller items needed to go along with it. So on the most recent order from The Funkie Junkie Boutique, I took a stroll through all of Linda's line of 'littles'; closures/locks, brackets, and charms. I found some really cool items that were perfect for what I had in mind. Arrrrr you ready, Matie? Then let's go!

I began with some small Christmas boxes (they're always too small for anything),
some Tim Holtz Black Kraft Stock, and some linen colored Matboard.
These Eileen Hull dies are older and have been discontinued. 
I found them last fall (2021) via a friend.

I didn't need the entire box, so I took off the edges and between all 3 box lids/bottoms,
I had more than enough to cut everything needed for the smaller "matchbox" set of 3
that would go into the larger box.

You'll also need the Extra Large Cutting Plates for these dies, as well.

I wanted the inside box set to have patterned paper and found Tim's new 
Backdrops Volume 1 that I had yet to open. I chose maps out of it.

By folding in the excess of the wider TH Backdrops paper, I could carefully
cut both sides needed for the entire matchbox drawer that would be covering for the 
Christmas box ugly grey sides. Leaving the white for the other side.

My choice of Black Kraft Stock for the larger box that would become the treasure chest,
gave me a lot of scraps leftover for the bottoms of the matchboxes.
I was using the older 8x8, but Tim came out with a newer size as well.

Here I am putting them together using Glossy Accents,
and aging them a bit with some TH Distress Oxide in Vintage Photo, then heat dried.
I sanded the Blackout after scoring in half inches.
There will be A LOT of sanding...
and A LOT of scoring for this box.
Let's just say that I am done with Black Kraft Stock for a while, lol!

Cutting the larger box and putting it together was easy-peasy!
The only difference was that I ditched the square top of this box and used the base
to measure out a longer (but same width) lid that would round over the top.
That meant cutting two sides that would also round.
You can see here that I have made a mistake: The sides are too short and wouldn't cover completely.
So that's a do over.... shown down later.

Meanwhile, I've painted the INSIDE Matboard that is the main bottom box,
as well as all the top edging and outside corners.
You'll see why later.
That's TH Distress Paint in Walnut Stain.

I dug out of my stash drawer, some larger sheets of plain stock.
It just happened to be the same color as the TH Black Kraft Stock side.
Since that was going to be a main color from sanding the black...
I wanted to cover the Matboard with it. So another set of sides die cut as well as 
tracing the bottom and cutting the corners to go over the bottom and around the outside.

Measuring out the sides, fronts, bottom, and lid...
x2 for those... 

...and sanding all of it.

I also marked little "nails" by just scrubbing a bit with the TH IdeaOlogy Remnant Rub Tool.

By tracing around one of my circle thin dies, I was able to redo those sides for the lid.

Now it was coming together nicely!
The flat top on the box made it look like a ship's crate, and exactly the look I was gunning for!

To get those sides in, I actually just eye-balled the measuring.
For some reason, that's always been really easy for me- leveling things and spacing the middle.

Here, I show how I used those Matboard edges to help hold the sides in firm before folding
over the Black Kraft Stock edging to it. Then covering those with a full Blackout side piece.

Getting out another long Retired TH fave die: Hardware Findings,
and two sheets left of that hoarded and carefully-doled-out TH GrungePaper!
I'm getting desperate now: Tim, get that stuff manufactured again, PLEASE!

Cutting down the actual die cut so that the "leather" will go all the way around, top to bottom.
Yikes; the scraps! I can't bear to watch as they go into the trash!

Getting some Distress Ink onto the pieces- and two little side handles, with 
some Vintage Photo and edged with Black Soot.

We're coming on to the GOOD part now: those beautiful little packages 
tied with inked Crinkle Ribbon (center of photo) that Linda makes up
when you order loose embellishments.

And here they are- in all their glory!
The Seaside Charms are the bee's knees to me!

The Antique Bronze Decorative Box Latch
 and Bronze Tone Hinges (Set of 4)
 fit PERFECTLY with the die cut GrungePaper faux leather!!

I was able to choose the Hinges inside or outside of the faux leather and I 
decided on putting them tucked inside on the lid and outside on the bottom. The look was so realistic!

I did use both TH IdeaOlogy Long Fasteners to attach all the hardware,
as well as using Glossy Accents- all hidden under the Black Kraft Stock.

I guess I wasn't thinking when I put the outside of the matchbox drawers together.
I ended up peeling the outsides apart to reverse the patterns to show INSIDE.
That meant the plain white was up against the Black Craft Stock.
Now, when I took out a drawer, I could see the map pattern.
Otherwise, it would have just wasted the pattern.

No problem: with the use of the TH Remnant Rub Tool,
I was able to smooth down both layers (Christmas Box and the very GOOD paper of 
Tim's Backdrop paper) and simply just rescore the other way.

This was an idea in the works for some time.
How to make gold coins?
It began with a bag of flat quarter-sized metallic confetti in gold and silver.
 I went through all my embossing folders and the best one that looked like a coin-
TH retired very long ago- used the number 13... a great number for a pirate!

So, I ran some through. And then ran more through. And then had to run MORE through...
you get the idea.

It turned out that to make them feel like thick coins, I needed to have one 
embossed on each side, with two flats in the middle. To make 24 coins.
I went to get another new Glossy Accents bottle, and found this stuff
I bought ... who knows when??... that contains acetone.
My first thought was "EEK; my nails!"...

...my second thought was: "ALLLL RIIIGHT!!"
See how that acetone bubbled up the plastic of the gold?
Now THAT looks like a gold coin!

I'm ready to assemble the finished chest together.

By using the acetone glue with flat confetti, I give it a background, without
having to make so many thicker coins not showing all the way.
Then pile up the thick coins on top. 

The Seaside Charms had a plan, too. I wanted a bracelet to wear.
I took out the palm tree since there were 10 charms and an uneven number looked better.

I used a lot of stash tools and items that probably you won't find the very same thing of.
But crafters know very well how to improvise with their own!

Click on the links to help you find items I've used.




This is what it looks like:







GOLD!!!

Or can there be other treasure in that chest?

When the 2 older Grandbabies were with us in Florida,
we filled bottles with sand and tiny seashells.
I happened to take one more: of the water.
Not so sure if I am going to keep the water- while it was crystal clear in May,
sitting in the sunlight on my desk kinda did something to it...??


The bracelet with the Seaside Charms turned out VERY SWEET!
 I made both with the very same sailor knots I use on my sailboat.
It's a must to know your knots!


We also picked up larger seashells, but I went alone before we left Florida
to head back for the Indiana summer and found tons of natural puka shells!

A simple printed out pirate's map set completes the box.

This is the backside of the coins. The pallet does look real!

THANKS! for joining us once again for us on
Saturday Showcase!
Come browse through
and join in on the fun of our latest challenge.
Then come on over to 
 to find those supplies you want to round out the perfect entry for the challenge!

Have a wonderful- and Safe Holiday!
HAPPY BLOGGING!!

















1 comment:

Lisa Hoel said...

Well that has an extra helping of awesome sauce! Totally fab project! =)