Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Tuesday, May 16, 2023

The Funkie Junkie Boutique's Inspiration Ave #11 Americana... Embracing America

 


  
May brings the flowers to the northern part of the US and I love how it seems to pop out overnight! I do my best every spring to catch it all happening in the act, but that seldom works. I notice tiny buds one day and the next, the leaves are furled out; we go from bare trees to full, green canopies. The Crab Apple Tree blooms are nothing short of amazing here! If only the warm air would decide to stay up here in New York; it swings from too chilly to too hot right now. And not one single mushroom to be found up here, either. Meanwhile, back in Indiana, they're having a record finding of morels and I'm still seeing them in my dreams!

   I may have missed out on the rest of the shrooming season, but I was overjoyed to not miss out on the official crawling/standing status of Princess Rose- just a couple weeks before she turned 9 months (May 16th)! She was so proud of herself! And she shocked her parents when they found her on top of the play table all by herself the very next day! She's a go-getter, like her cousin, Princess Pistachio. There'll be no stopping them now. I missed out on Grandparent's Day with Peanut and Princess at their Indiana preschool but was able to enjoy teaching Pecan how to fly a kite- and take it for walks over Lake Ontario's shoreline. Yes, it did slip away from us, once- all over the boatyard. That was a lesson in walking floating docks for Pecan and I was pleased to see Grandchild No.3 -like Nos. 1 & 2- also has sea legs like his Memaw. I got 3 weeks in of spending time with them (rebonding with Princess Rose) and taking them to the parks. I also got to have 2 free days while they all took a mini-vacation to a rental in Auburn. I not only did some direly needed clothes shopping (I'm not a clothes girl), but did some serioous walking milage and finally got to try out a Bird. Now those are Da BOMB in fun!!! I'll be doing that more!!









    Back at The Funkie Junkie Boutique, Owner Linda has been very busy; Tim Holtz came out with some new tools and I sorely needed one of them: Rotary Media Trimmer. It came just in time for my project I had planned for Inspiration Ave's "Americana", the new theme for this next 2 weeks: Let's scroll down to see where my tools took me...

Happy Mail from The Funkie Junkie Boutique brought me the new TH Backdrops Vol 4

Once again; a chance to use that fabulous new TH Rotary Media Trimmer

If you're a long-time Tim fan, you may remember when he first put out an
"Americana" set of 3 new (back then) Distress Ink Pads.
While no longer sold as a set, all three shades are still available separately.
Seen here are TH Backdrops Vol 1 (reddish and bluish) & Vol 4 (tanish).

Before I started with my Background Vol 1 papers,
I thought "if I end up overlapping, or underlapping (with gaps), I might want a base paper
underneath. In moho: there is no better paperie to use than these Backdrop papers-
they're tough but manageable for every crafting situation!

I did my fave technique of burnishing both sides with a couple sheets of Vol 4.

Then I went back to my chosen papers and started cutting 1 inch slices.
You can choose another size, but I felt like 1 inch was good for me.
The last one was just over the one inch, but instead of cutting it perfectly,
I decided to just go to the next step with it as is....

...using the Rotary Trimmer to then cut all the slices into one inch cubes.

When I got to inking them, I thought the Frayed Burlap Distress Ink was just a bit too much
on the greenish side, and reached for my go-to-fave Distress Oxide; Vintage Photo, instead.
After doing each cube all around the edges in it's respective shade, I heat dried them all.

Not to be without a plan for fitting... I laid some out just to see how it looked
and noticed those larger squares were overlapping and frankly, it looked CUTE!
Reminded me of the patched red,white, and blue clothes we wore in the 70's- especially around
1976 during the Bi-Centennial when everyone had at least one American Flag-colored piece of clothing.

So I used Glossy Accents to start my layering and when I got finished with
the Front of the Tag, I decided...

...to do the Back of the Tag also!


Then my ArtMuse took me further- I got the Etcetera Scalloped Trims out for a shelf
to go under the Paper Doll Portraits for the Front side.


Here's some links to help you find what you need:



And here's what it looks like...

Front of Tag




Back of Tag




I think the Backside of this Tag is my favorite because the seashell is the last one I picked up
from the beaches (my Happy Place) of the Emerald Coast new our Florida home just before we left to go back to Indiana. It's been many years since I was able to hear anything from a seashell, but the TH Large Word Band is a fitting description: if only I could hear the echoing story coming from it.

Thanks so much for joining me on another creative journey!
Remember to pop back in so you can see all the latest projects from our awesome 
Design Team at Inspiration Ave!

And be sure to look up the links above for the latest tools and materials arriving at

Until next time...

Stay Safe &
HAPPY BLOGGING!!


No comments: