Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Friday, June 5, 2015

Compendium Of Curiosities Challenge #29.... Getting our kicks on Route 66; our end of it anyway...

     

         
              
                I've said it many times, but there is nothing quite like a 'deadline' to get you motivated, *pant-pant-pant!* and I am awfully MOTIVATED right now, lemme tell ya! It's fryin' time, the fire's on 'high' and Yours Truly is definitely gettin' all crispy. So here's my entry for Challenge #29 (Eroded Metal) without further ado....You're thinkin" "AwwwRiiiiiiight! It's gonna be one 'a those FUN ones where she can't do much typing/talking !!! Aaaaaand....ur right on, baby. :)


Some of my best inspiration comes from doing what Tim Holtz once suggested he does; 'just grab a whole bunch of different items you THINK might look ok, and then take it from there'.

Part of the main rule is having your own COC Vol3 Book to work with, and not sharing the technique used for the main Challenge. So while I cannot show you the technique itself, I CAN show you the finished part of it. So here is what I ended up wtih- along with a bit more on my own...rusted edges. This is one of my VERY FAVE ways of starting a Tag background !!! 

Ok, this is where I veer off the main highway a bit and take a few of those little backroads... ;)

Here, you can see where I added the background of the stars and stripes snipped-out papers. I had full sheets of stars and stripes seperately and snipped my own pieces to make my own American Flag to fit the NEW Tim Holtz Thinlit die cut of "States"....this has GOT to be my FAVE of his new 2015 dies, and it was one of my choices of PRIZE from a previous CC3 win!!  
 
Here's where my fun came in! I took a full die cut of the 48 states shape, and matched up whatever parts of it would fit up against a REAL MAP printed out of Route 66. Then I cut each 'line' as needed till I could form the entire highway across my own map on the Tag.


Using good old favie Ranger's Glossy Accents Someday, I am gonna own stock in that company because I buy so much of this great stuff!! LOL! I even use it to fix household things and also just patched my pool raft from last year- thus saving me another $12 from purchasing a new pool suntanner mat...for probably spending on another bottle of Glossy Accents. :/  Go figure! :)
Anyway..... I matched up piece line by line and came up with an almost EXACTLY MATCHING highway!! 

Here you see how I also added INDIANA simply because that's where we start out from....and are only about 3 hours away from the Route 66 Museum which we are planning to visit on a stop along the way back up to Minnesota at the end of July. We're also only 4 hours from the very start of Route 66, and could go up that way- IF either of us cared to sit in hour-long traffic on The LOOP through Chicago. Trust me....You DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT. Only if you are a CAMEL and can hold you water for DAYS.

Here's the other best part: EMBELLIES !!!! Oh the FUN of digging through your stash, then goind online to your Products Pages on Tim's Site, so you can make your shopping list easier to replenish your stash from what you used. (Or NOT used....hehehe!)

I got out a couple of favie Sizzix and TH dies and made a few of my own 'keys' which I then rusted all three keys, and then used my hammer and metal tiny letterpress to add the year 1966 to the silver ones. That just so happens to be the very year of my first car: 1966 white 4-dr Chevy Chevelle with a full red interior.... and no trunk floor. lol!! My Dad bought it for me to drive back and forth to my first indoor job (I worked detassling for 4 summers before that) at Bressler's 33 Flavors Ice Cream Shoppe. A whole $1.35 an hour starting out in 1982. Yeah, you kids today have it SO BAaaaaD ! Right.)  

      Here are some closeups so you can see the grungy details....The sign was made from Grungepaper- doubled up, with "Signs" embossing folder, Picket Fence Distress Paint, and then Distress Embossing Powders. The "sheet music" is the real thing only miniturized on my scanner. My Ygr PURDUE Son did alot of belting this tune out in Jazz Band....he was also in the All-LoganLand Jazz Band (an honors Band) and got to play alongside the late, infamous (and extremely nice posing for my photos of him with the kids) Jazz Music great Mr. Med Flory.




This was so COOL...adding a little piece of Grungepaper that I embossed with my "Games" in a corner where the ticket is , then painted, sanded, and blended some Distress colors, punched a hole and added a gromet. It made a perfect backing for the little piece of FilmStrip Ribbon from the PACKAGE (the outside piece that shows you what it looks like inside the package of what you are buying) !!! I just LOVE saving those things cause you never know where they will end up looking SO CUTE at !!! BONUS stuff !!! And I also added "Listen" to the KeyChain. 

I am looking VERY forward to the stop-over at the Route 66 Museum as part of our travels this summer! We are short of time this year due to the ChiefHubby's heavy work schedule. But we hope to make it worthwhile in all the stuff we are ACTUALLY GETTING DONE around the house and property !! So we can stay on track for plans to 'motor West' for a few weeks in the next couple of years. Our first trip to California, and all points West will HAVE to be by car. We have so many things we want to see, and want to take our time seeing them !!! Then, secondary trips can be by plane and I won't complain. :)

This entry is part of the Compendium of Curiosities Vol. 3 by Tim Holtz. Tim, and his Behind The Scenes super-funny helper, is one of the sponsors of FABULOUS PRIZES in these Challenges held on Linda Ledbetter's Blog. Linda's The Funkie Junkie Boutique shop as well as Inspiration Emporium add to the prizes given away. There are so many talented crafters who are WONDERFUL inspirations to making your efforts really worthwhile!!!

THANKS SO MUCH for checking in to see my projects !!! You'll soon be seeing one of The ChiefHubby's projects I will be blogging on here (along with about a dozen I am currently typing up and getting the photos done for them) as we HOPE to be re-launching our boat this weekend!! It's been his pet-project all winter and spring and is finally just NAMED yesterday after all the work came together and it's nearly finished. Like,....you're NEVER 'late' like ME, huh, Dearest ?? lol!!!

Please come back again, and I hope to see you join in on this- and future TH books !!!
Safe Journeys and Happy Blogging!

4 comments:

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Awesome!!! LOVE that you used the flag design for the die...great minds think alike! LOVE your backgrounds too! Both of these are very cool! Thanks for joining us!!!

Cheryl Grigsby said...

I love your tag!! You've nailed the travel theme and got me in the mood for a road trip. Your eroded metallic technique is really nice and make a great foundation for your map and travel pieces. Great job, LOVE this!!

Candy C said...

Hi Lyla...very cute Route 66 tags! Love what you did with Tim's die cuts here. Love the papers and the map "USA". So darned cute! Your eroded metallic technique looks really good too as the background for the tags. Great job! Thanks for joining us at CC3C. <3 Candy

Paula Cheney said...

Lyla, I really like how you used the United States die. Very clever to add the route line! I don't think I every would have thought to do that!
thanks!!