Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Friday, May 3, 2019

Frilly and Funkie Challenge #10; Spring Is In Bloom...Bloom Where You are Planted!

   May Day! It seems like it was so far off just a while ago, and it's here! The month of "shrooming", grass growing & mowing (in earnest), & the very 2nd Day of May is when our Older Son, Brian, was born...THIRTY years ago!
It was just one of the first of THE best days of my life; holding that 4 weeks preemie baby boy and wondering at how GOD can do such perfect Creating. I felt like I was born to be a Mom, and he was such a good baby, child, and now a Dad twice over himself- as well as bringing us a wonderful Daughter. But....30?? Time flies.
      If that's not enough of a milestone; the Younger Couple Kids chose to announce their secret on that same day: we're going to be Grandparents again this year- November! At the moment, I can't imagine 3 Grandbabies at Christmas this year, but if it's anything like the first Christmas with Wittle Peanut Cole...I think it will be AWESOME with him, the Princess Pistachio, Chloe Madison, and Baby Larimore!! No gender as of yet for the Baby-of-the-family's Baby, but like the first two Grandbabies: as long as it's healthy and everything goes well for both Baby and Momma- we'll be happy! Watching the Younger Son try to open and close a new stroller while we were up there over Easter (did the photo shoot then), was nothing short of hilarious. It was like a replay of when we were expecting Cole just 2 short years ago. (Frankly, I think those new strollers are made to be ADULT PROOF when it comes to opening and closing the suckers.)
           All the above has me feeling like this current Frilly and Funkie Challenge is just right for me- it's as if things really ARE "blooming", and coming up roses as well.  But what made me think of my take on this, was that each of these Grandbabies is going to be just as different from each other, as they are similar. Each will be blessed with their own personality and their own talents. Since David's late Mom was known as "Grandma Larimore", I decided not to take that name. I go by MeeMaw (MeeMaw Larimore); which Cole just said the other day for the first time, much to my extreme excitement! As a Grandma, I will have no favorites. We raised our boys that way, and we love them each differently but the same. And we love both our Daughters the same as well. Each child is a GIFT and there is just no way for one to shine over another. While no child can choose who they are born to, likewise, they cannot choose where or when they will be born- that's all up to GOD who is the Creator. And there are so many times- especially in these days- when we look out at the news both locally and around the world and it brings sadness to us that awful things happen. I used to rant and rave at the injustices of this world, and watching the news made that worse. I have one Sister who absolutely refuses to watch any news at all because of this feeling. It can make ANY of us feel helpless to be able to do anything to help when and where there is hurt in the world. Yes- we can PRAY. And YES- that DOES work! But, I learned long ago, that the peace we can feel comes easier if we learn to do what we can...right where we are! Even the simplest help can go a long way! Of maybe you have a way to travel and help, or send help (we have done both of these also). Anyone can be an important part of "the big picture". Everyone has a talent. Everyone is important. And most of all: EVERYONE IS LOVED.
        The bottom line of all the aforementioned: BLOOM WHERE YOU ARE PLANTED! 

                 And this is where my inspiration took me...

I started out with a couple of larger-sized rotary-cut Tags.
Each would make a side of one Tag put together.
TH Memoranda Paper was calling my name with "Hey, you; USE ME!", lol.
I treated them with TH Oxide Inks in Antique Linen and Old Paper.

I started with some basic cuts from TH Alterations Dies;
Bigz Tattered Evergreen
and Thinlits Set, Wildflowers #2
I had a Sizzix basket embossing folder, so I fussy cut that out.
The Evergreen Die makes pinecones, but a long time back; Tim showed how to 
make a tattered rose with the same die. This was my intent for it here.

I started with the Front Side Tag- making the twisted stem out of a Stampin'Up stamp,
embossing it and then cutting it out TWICE- each twist as one length, and then twisting them together again for some added dimension popped up with popdots.

A Friskars Christmas Light punch made leaves just the right size:
I stacked up the punched-out leaves into four layers and took a snip off one side
with my TH Scissors. I loved the effect I got!

Here comes that TH Faceted Hearts Thinlits Set again!
I absolutely LOVE this die set !!!
(Can't you tell?!)

Again: this little trick keeps the hearts from getting smashed in.
I tear up tiny pieces of Kleenex Tissue and shoved them into an almost-closed heart
glued together with Glossy Accents. Another dab or two will close the hearts up completely.
I made 4 out of one small sheet of pastel cardstock, but only needed three.

Here's where the TH Distress Inks and Oxide Inks come in:
giving each piece or layer of cardstock/paperie some dimension before adding it to the Tag.

Lastly, I made the saying on my computer and printed it out.
TH Strip Die Tattered Ribbons made a nice cut for them.


This was how it came out...

FRONT SIDE

You can see the pop dots added (in 4 layers) to build up the planter to a rounded up shape.

Every planter has some kind of stick or fun item in it!
So the TH Story Stick worked here- out of IdeaOlogy.



BACK SIDE


This ribbon was given pop dots in an uneven layer across the back-
I wanted it to look like it was waving out in a field.

Three cuts of the bloom itself gave this flower some "oomph"!
Pop dots to the rescue for that.
And a bit of TH Distress Crayon in Spiced Marmalade gave a bit of color to the tips.

THANKS;
once again, for stopping by!!
And even MORE SO; for all the comments!!
I am truly honored to have so many people taking a look at my makes!
If you get the chance...
to look at the other entries for this Challenge,
And better still: JOIN US!!
I've had several of my projects get into the Top 3 Picks,
chosen as a Top Pick (to be a Guest Designer)
and I've had the pleasure of winning the Drawing from the Sponsor;
and YOU have those chances as well!!
But you'll never know till you TRY!

Here's to a BLOOMIN' SPRING for all!

Be Safe &
HAPPY BLOGGING!














4 comments:

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

This is a gorgeous tag! I love the back roads that your creative mind travels! Thank you so much for sharing with us at the Frilly and Funkie "Spring Is in Full Bloom" Challenge!

sarascloset said...

Lyla, this has got to be a true favorite of mine from your creative hands! I love those hearts and lovely dimensional blossoms! A real treasure of a tag and oh, so early at Frilly and Funkie! Thank you so much for creating this for the Frilly and Funkie "Spring Is in Full Bloom" Challenge! Hugs!

Jenny Marples said...

Oh I love both sides to your tag Lyla! The clever way you've added dimension to it and celebrated the arrival of Spring is wonderful. Thank you for joining us for this Frilly and Funkie challenge xx

Maggi said...

I love your flowers, they are so pretty and look so great on your tag!