Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Friday, December 28, 2018

Poinsettias; on Tags & Gift Sacks!

     Christmas has come and gone, but I still wanted to share a few posts of things I've made this year- all 3 items are first-time crafts for me, since I hadn't had much chance to use these certain TH dies/products. While I am late getting these posted; it's only that I haven't had the proper chance to work the photos of these already-given gifts. That's all good, since the business now involves chillin' with the peeps! Two more gatherings/events to attend & the Holidays come to a close. That means clean up, & inventory for the next season of the year: the deep freeze of Winter. Sitting here in warmer (but rainy today & in our jammies) Florida, I contemplate the coming season: NOT my fave by far! But, it's a chance to try out all the new crafting items I found at bargain prices; courtesy of my fab ChiefHubby (who is at the very moment of this typing, a front-row-50-yard-line Attendee at the Purdue vs Auburn Music City Bowl football game (the only BOILERMAKER from our sidecompletely surrounded by 6 or 7 Auburn "so-called family" *huff* lol) who drove back UP to Tennessee from here last night. We'll head home early next week- with him having driven the same route 4x in 12 days.

I need a VACATION! *grinning*

     Ok, this will give you the basic "how-to" for the Tim Holtz Alterations Bigz Die; Poinsettia...


       I purchased a full 12x12 stack (The Paper Studio) for use in several projects over the
December gift-making days. This stack has a thick paper-backing which holds up really well- 
without having to put a card stock in between a double-sided Tag.

I purchased the TH Alterations Poinsettia
Die/Embossing Folder Set At The end of 2017, then promptly forgot I had it!
So as the Holidays got closer, I took this set out for some serious fun.

Out came the TH Thinlits Set: Greenery.
This is a very versatile die set, and cutting in different shades, patterns , & colors....
it’s really easy to make these dies look like  many more different cuts than the four included in this set. 
          (*Thinlits are NOT meant for cutting thicker materials such as the burlap above. 
Always check your die’s instructions for material limits.)

             I made several cuts of just 3 of the four dies of TH Greenery, and from the Poinsettia Die, 
              the following cuts were made to make all the petal layers I wanted for just one flower.
                                       (*The above photo shows all cuts I used to make 
                          TWO FULL POINSETTIA BLOOMS WITH GREENERY BACKING.)
                   2 green- large petal cuts (this is the “dying”,oldest, most putter set of petals
                   3 red patterned- again using the largest petals.
                   3 solid red colored- using the medium petals. The solid gives a background to 
                                   the smallest petals in front of them.
                   3 red patterned- using the smallest petal cut.
                   1 green “stamen” cut for the center. You can double up on this if you want, 
                                    for added thickness & pop.

Tip: I usually cut 3 layers at one time in the Bigz dies, and was able to emboss 2 layers
of the cuts at one time in the embossing folder, just fine, with no tearing or other problems.

Tip: When layering more than one set of cuts to emboss; turn the folder “backwards”
 (top/front side onto the table) & use the 
black outlines to make lining up the cuts easier, & much faster!

While I do have both the TH Tags Thinlits Set and the TH BigzXL Tags & Bookplates Die,
I chose to cut the burlap with the much-stronger BigzXL. 

              Next is adding a bit of dimension to each petal/layer of paper by using TH Distress & 
               Distress Oxide Inks with a Blending Tool. You can use any slightly-darker, or slightly 
                 lighter shades as you like, but I chose Old Paper & Iced Spruce Distress Oxides
        for the Greenery & the outermost green  petals, and went with Fired Brick Distress (regular)
               for the large and small red patterned petals. The middle petals that were a more 
                         solid red color got edged all around in Vintage Photo Distress Oxide.

           You can see where the Distress & Distress Oxide Inks allow the embossing on the petals  
             just barely show, while at the same time; rimming the edges & making them stand out.

            A VERY IMPORTANT STEP: using a craft heat gun/wand to dry the Distress/Oxide Inks.    
                 Otherwise; the Inks  will still be “wet” & will smear onto hands & other objects.

                                           
                                               I start layering the Greenery pieces first. 
          (I was in the kitchen to keep an eye on cookies baking at the same time, so I was using
         my Craft Sheet- which is heatproof and kept the glue gun from harming my bar cabinet's  
           custom-made countertop. Those Craft Sheets still come in handy, so don't toss it just
                because you've done likewise & are now using that AWESOME TH Glass Mat!!)
                       Start with 2 pieces of Greenery cuts- setting them in a natural "floral pattern".
             This is where my 6 week college course taken upon my graduation from High School
        (with an Honors Diploma in May 1984) on Floral Arrangements comes in handy! I wasn't sure      
         what I wanted to do for a career, but I was 18 years old & had my own wedding coming up 
       that I wanted to create everything for- all hand-made MYSELF. And, yes, the ChiefHubby & I 
            were successful; with a VERY LIMITED income at the ages of 18 & 21 out on our own!
             Check your nearest campuses- especially city colleges- for their list of cirriculum from 
                    which you may find professional/craft courses both very affordable, & useful!

              Next, add more Greenery, keeping each layer as natural-looking as you build up.
        Then begin the first layer of petals- starting with the two green petals. These are the two 
         most outer leaves. Before adding each Petal cut, turn it over and add a one-layered line 
        of glue in a "dot",then follow the middle of the individual petal moving out toward the pointed
      end of each, until you have created a glue "star" on the backside. Allow to cool a few minutes 
         before turning the petal right side up and adding it as a new layer. Just press down with the
        glue gun's point to reheat the middle "dot" on the underside. (For some un-even natural look;
        try reheating here or there just a bit along one of the lines of the underside middle of one petal.)
        The cooled glue "star" on the underside of each Petal layer pushes each into a bowl-shape;
                 as each layer is added, the middle stays pushed INWARD (where it was reheated)
         while the outer edges are pushed UPWARD from the Greenery. It looks like an actual flower!
         
Once I got going, I was busy reheating a Petal cut into the "stack" while the
next Petal was cooling. This was a quick process, and before I knew it: I had these 2 finished!
That's a good thing; I had 12 to get done altogether.
 And, I am now seriously looking into purchasing a wireless glue gun!!

Look at how PRETTY these turned out!!

I made 2 Tags from this (1 for a family gift exchange & 1 to keep as usual)...

                                     
  Closeup: sewing around the edges (just one burlap side at a time & 
then adhearing both sides (front & back) of the burlap die cut Tags 
& embellishing the top with some TH IdeaOlogy: Pinecones on Wired Pins
-purchased from The Funkie Junkie Boutique

Backsides of the 2 Poinsettia Tags.

The 2 Tags that went together for an exchange gift.
The "Merry Moose" Tag on the right side can be found by clicking HERE


THANK YOU: for checking in to see this latest post...
& MOST ESPECIALLY, THANKS to all who followed my "Sneak Peeks" 
on various Social Media all year long!!
You've given me some AWESOME INSPIRATION to keep on Craftin'!
I hope you will be inspired enough from this step-by-step to give it a try!!

Another Post will be up shortly- GOD willing!

Here's hoping your CHRISTmas was a wonderful time, 
& another hope for a great 2019!!

Be Safe &
HAPPY BLOGGING!!!


No comments: