Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Saturday, August 10, 2019

The Funkie Junkie Challenge #17; Marvelous Metallics... A Real EMERGENCY!

  Recognize those guys in the photo at the left? Hint: They are all characters who formed the A Shift at Los Angeles County Fire Department's mythical Fire Station 51. Another hint: two of the characters portrayed 2 of the first Paramedics in the USA...Roy DeSoto and John Gage. Ok, now you've got it:
"EMERGENCY!" was the name of the television show that debuted in early 1972 as a replacement show on NBC network. Most folks these days think that all TV shows are made-up plots scripted entirely by writers who are out to simply sell their own ideas. But this particular series- which lasted 6 Seasons (beginning with a 2 hour movie pilot, and ending with and several more 2 hour movies)- was based on real people who did real jobs and made the very real Emergency Medical Services we know and depend upon today! Being from a "firefighting family" I can look back in awe and think about how this crossed paths throughout my life. In short; from the moment I watched this show, at the tender age of 6 years old, I was in love with Firefighter/Paramedic John Gage. I wasn't a dummy... while I LOVED firetrucks, fire stations, and was one of the first kids to give chase, but I also knew that GIRLS can't be firefighters, Not back then, and there still aren't any in our county seat. I even knew a "for real live firefighter" already: my Cousin had just started on our city FD. I knew that was too dangerous for GIRLS like ME. So instead, I was the proud owner of Squad 51 (and accessories) and both dolls (Johnny and Roy) for Christmas 1973. I could cry thinking of not still having those things now! But what I ended up with is better! I had promised myself I would marry John Gage one day. In 1984, I married into a FF family- the one belonging to my ChiefHubby, who became a FF himself, now retired. I can say with all positivity: the seemingly unbelievable things that happened on the runs of the guys on fictional Station 51... are NOT too far off the truth. The things that have happened over the 26 years he served, watching my guy dash off in the middle of: the night, dinner, holidays, and the things he saw- you can just take my word for it; you'd have to have LIVED that crap in order to come up with some of those stories! And they DID! The writers took the stories from actual FD log books.



    And then, one day, I grew up, got married, bought a house, and started raising kids of our own. While being a stay-at-home Mom who still chased after a firefighter in his fire trucks (Hey, at least they were "mine"!), I helped a lot at the school, our boys were both in sports, Cub and Boy Scouts, Band and Marching Band, we were in involved in Church- where ChiefHubby served as an Elder, then- & currently still- a Deacon, he also attended Seminary for a Theology certificate. I literally had no time to be handicapped! And certainly no time for television- let alone keeping up with anything that had been my favorite actors; Randolph (Randy) Mantooth and Kevin Tighe. My generation either saw a show or missed it. If you were lucky, you caught it over the summer months in reruns. But until things came out on VCR... we generally just kept the memories in our heads, and in our hearts. But the internet and new hand-held technology changed all that! Suddenly, we were able to find out recent news about long-ago things we grew up with. Indexes like Wikipedia and IMBD made it possible to check out where everyone was currently and what they were up to. Then, Oh, WOW: Facebook arrived on the scene! Kids these days... I'm 53, so I can say it.... have no idea what it was like to actually VIEW news of people you only heard about from far, far away in the magical land of the black and white tv screen. Then, you could connect with and actually talk to them!!

 I majored in Speech and Drama in HS, and I had plans of going into the Military to pursue radio and tv arts and media. Ahh; the best laid plans are always the ones that go awry, and deafness at age 15 put most of that into the trashbin. (Hence the fun of my own WLYLAFridayHits that is on hiatus for this year.) My S/D Teacher once told me, "Don't be overwhelmed by important people in your audience; they poo and wipe just like every other person. Keep that in mind as you speak and you'll connect on the same level." Very humbling advice! That has come in handy a few times when I've connected with news media or other folks that leave mouths hanging open. 

    In April of 2015, Randy Mantooth was scheduled to appear at FDIC International ( Fire Departments Instructor Conference ) in Indianapolis, Indiana. Although my ChiefHubby had been a participant in several years past, as well as showing off the new Pumper in 2005, he had just retired in January and had no plans to return to FDIC after having taken me down in 2014 for my first- & his last- visit. Two very special friends on Twitter convinced me I had to go, and I was NOT disappointed! I got a text from Rich that said "Randy's ready for your hug!" and it stopped me in my tracks. ChiefHubby was still thinking it was a joke, but by the time we reached Randy up at the table...my ChiefHubby was holding onto my shirt. I was thinking he was afraid Randy would run off with me? No; he was afraid I would take off with Randy over my shoulder in a fireman's carry!! lol Meeting my 2 friends, Rich and Jaime, who helped me meet Randy.... was like a dream come true; not only for me but for my ChiefHubby, who was also transported back to a time we each remember very fondly, yet separately. And how it criss-crossed so much in our lives; amazing! And yes, I was able to talk to Randy like he was a long-time friend; he makes you feel like it, too. I told him how my CH had just seen him pass by us eating a hotdog?! Are you kidding me?! I missed the chance of a lifetime to give RANDY MANTOOTH the Heimlich maneuver ??!! He had a good laugh at that. 
And I was able to share a bit of my talent with him.... I brought him a set of the dolls I had made ahead of time. My set was going into a box with photos I planned to keep of the meeting.
 
                  So finally; here we are with the long-saved project finally posted!!


The dolls are the newer Sizzix Dolls and Clothes were die cut from matching Sizzix Dies
with some customized cutting by hand.
Yeah, I even added Johnny Gage's little red sport shorts underneath. lol

The dolls have mat board as the base, with cardstock back and front.
The clothes were glued with Glossy Accents in 3 layers to give them a firm handling.

Each set had 2 sets of clothes: full turnout gear and full uniform.
I used clear Velcro round stickers to the dolls and clothes for set changes.


  

The backside background was made to hold heavier cut cardstock frames...

...plus, hide the program inside the back for keepsake. 

The MARVELOUS METALLIC is shown here- the very same item that was
to be showcased originally!!
I diecut cardstock-backed foil into a Tag,

and used a diffuser to add a flat space into the "firetruck metal"!

Casing it together with the photos of THE meeting and the dolls....
and of course; I used the Tim Holtz Alterations Die Old Jalopy to fashion
"The Old Engine" Johnny and Roy fixed up and hoped to show off
in one of my fave hilarious Episodes; "The Parade"-
you can see the old engine better in the next pic...









The ChiefHubby has a good hold on  me- actually giving me the push for the hug!
LORD, I do love that man !!
(And yeah, I still love Johnny Gage, and Randy's not too bad either! lol!)



Yes, I was bawling like a baby... the memories were so SWEET!


      
Rich Mistkowski, myself, and Jaime Shine

                    This project had been itching in my draft box for the past 4 years! I had
                      originally planned to put this out as a Tim Holtz's CC3 Challenge on this same
                                                   Funkie Junkie Boutique Challenge Blog ,
                                           which was still sponsored with prizes by the same
                                                                 Funkie Junkie Boutique        
                                            but, again, best laid plans, and it never made it in.
                         So here I can finally show it off since it hangs in our walk-thru office that is
                   decorated with all the FF memorabilia we've collected over the years in our family.

                                 But... I hope to make one more piece to enter.
                                               Just because I have a bit of time on my hands!
                                                                  So, until the next post:

                                                Be Safe & 
                                    HAPPY BLOGGING!!

*First 3 top photos: property of NBC, Universal, & “EMERGENCY!” et al.
** 4th photo: Pinterest & ditto above.

4 comments:

sarascloset said...

You always surprise me, Lyla! This is such a fabulous post and project! I'm so happy you completed it after all these years; what a fabulous story to capture in this framed layout! And thank you for including it in our Marvelous Metallics Challenge at the Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog! (oh, so early! Ha! Ha!) Hugs! Sara Emily

Cec said...

Glad you completed the layout to capture your memories. With the black text on top of the brown background, my old eyes could not read the story behind the layout and I always love reading your stories. I am sure glad you used white text to describe your process so I could see all the fabulous details you put into this great project. Thanks for joining us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog.
Hugs!
Cec

Larimore2 said...

I'm in the middle of correcting the color, Cec, as I can't read the darned thing either!!!lol!!

Jenny Marples said...

I always enjoy reading your posts Lyla and am so glad you took the opportunity to share this one with us together with that fabulous layout. Can't believe how much care you took with even the smallest of details (red underpants!!!) Thank you so much for joining us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog xx