Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Sunday, July 21, 2019

The Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog Challenge #16 It's Heating Up!...Uncle Sam Marches On!

      July 4th is my favorite holiday of the year,
and we ended up being out of state (again) during the time I would also love to do some Americana crafting. So instead, the current Challenge actually helped me back up a bit and have a re-play, so to speak! I dug right in as soon as the idea hit on me as I was making the first panel (Click Here). And my Muse just took off; almost without me!
      Again, the theme for this Challenge calls for the use of reds, yellows, or oranges that are 'warm' and give the impression of the heat of summer. There's no shortage of heat here, and I absolutely LOVE it! Summer is my Happy Place, definitely. As I posted before, this set of panels is done EARLY (do the early dance!)
and you still have time to join in at
The Funkie Junkie Boutique Challenge Blog, which means you still have a good chance of being a Top Pick, or winning the Drawing for a $25 Shopping Certificate from The Funkie Junkie Boutique. Best hurry- deadline is July 30th!
   

                                     So let's see what I have this time...


Using the good old R,W,B in Distress Regular Inks Fired Brick and Faded Blue Jeans,
and Distress Oxide Ink in Antique Linen, with some Tarnished Brass Distress Spray;
I inked up a good background by making my pattern onto the TH Glass Mat.
I did a few earlier practice sheets as well, but here's my take- I needed 2 backgrounds
for this project just like I did in the first panel last time.

Then I used Distress Regular Inks in Black Soot and Tea Dye,
with Oxide Inks in Antique Linen and Vintage Photo to fill out all around any blank spots.
I added Distress Powder in Vintage Photo onto the second sheet to start some serious rusting.

Since I was planning to use the TH Thinlits United States Die,
I knew the area that would need rusting. The Thinlits tend to tear as they are
very delicate, so I chose to try and do the faux rust before cutting, and it helped.

Also, before cutting, I added some odd stripes in the Antique Linen Oxide-
just to clarify the lines a bit better.

Then cut...

                                           
                                                                ...and the resulting cut.

TH Alterations Die Festive Gent was my Uncle Sam- altered a bit here and there
with Tonic Scissors. Thinlits Die Stenciled Numbers made the 1776 and I used
the razored TH Distressor to rag out the edges of the year.

Cutting up a small 4x6 US Flag is not considered 'bad' by me...
as long as I am honorable with disposing of the rest of it properly.
Besides...She was still gonna FLY proudly!!!

Distressing the US Flag...
 think the War of 1812 and Francis Scott Key looking up at Her.
She's burned, cannonballed, torn, ragged, and worn.
But proudly; She still WAVES!!

A bamboo skewer made a smaller "flag pole" by cutting to size with Tonic Scissors,
edging the top in (a very OLD Gold Ranger Dabber) and staining the rest with
TH Distress Stain in Walnut.


And here's the final product...

Uncle Sam marches on!



I was careful to add Alaska and Hawaii, though most people leave those out 
when it comes to an outline of the USA.
(But man, those tiny islands were TOUGH to make!)
I also chose to make Uncle Sam keep his 'edges' instead of smoothing him out.
I put a white mat board in between two black cardstocks, then
fussy-colored the edges slightly with TH Distress Crayon in Black Soot.
The white shows just a bit for some extra dimension.




For me, there is no better color scheme than Old Glory's!
She's definitely on fire and still marching for the freedom She stood for when
She only had 13 stars on her. And we need to support those who fight to protect Her.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by!
Until next time:

Be Safe &
HAPPY BLOGGING!








4 comments:

sarascloset said...

Amen, Lyla! No better color scheme! I'm a proud American, and always happy to honor our flag. I will forgive you for altering this tiny flag, because of the reasons behind it, and boy, it sure looks fabulous on your card! I love that background!!! Another great entry into our It's Heating Up! challenge at The Funkie Junkie Boutique challenge blog! Hugs!

experiments in paper said...

Fabulous make! Love that US background, and thanks for being inclusive of our neighbors to the north and west!

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful Patriotic art! Love the way you created your background and used with the flag and US die cuts it is beautiful! Thanks for playing along again with us in the Funkie Junkie Boutique "It's Heating Up" challenge!

Cec said...

You certainly covered all the bases with this card for July 4th. Love the background and all the patriotic elements you have used to make this vintage beauty. Thanks for joining us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog.
Hugs!
Cec