Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Tuesday, May 3, 2022

The Funkie Junkie Boutique Challenge #9; My turn to lead with "Sunday in the Park".... Beasly Park, Emerald Coast, Florida!

 


     I
'm posting this in just the last couple of hours, since we just got home from Oswego, New York.  I'm taking the lead in this TFJB Challenge "Sunday in the Park" , and I have been looking forward to this since I came aboard The FJB Design Team back in January! I made sure to check the store well beforehand and get the right tools I needed in order to make my plan for this make work. I have some steps you can follow along with and if that's all you want to read- just scroll on down, because as is my usual... I have had a wild life lately...

       What a couple of weeks it has been since my last post...pictures will tell more than I can. The older set of kids and Grandbabies had a very rough week; the cause of my praying for comfort as I typed up that last entry; GrandPuppy Macie, was found to have some kind of cancer, and she just went downhill quickly. They sent them to Purdue where she would have the very best of any Vet care around, yet they were unable to save her after 2 blood transfusions. Perhaps their study of her body will help others. They brought her ashes back home to bury. Peanut and Princess were able to say their goodbyes, and young children heal faster with this, but it was very rough going for our kids. Like the younger set with our first Grandpup ,Baxter (who was put down last year in February)... it was gut-wrenching to have to make that choice for our 2nd Grandpup. She was their first 'baby' as Baxter had been the younger kids' first. I can understand and be grateful for Baxter's long life; as well as my own HunniPi who has been my Hearing Helper for the last 13 years this August. She just passed her 13th Birthday on April 29th. Yet, Macie May was only 5 years old and that is a very short life for a Golden Retriever. BEAR, her younger brother, cried for days and we are praying he doesn't have the same situation down the road.


         And during those 2 weeks we waited to see if Macie was going to be ok or not... one of my many Neices managed to make up a surprise meeting with my Mother and siblings from that side. We'd not seen one another since 2003, and probably not since the 20 years before that. I talk often to them and see my next oldest Bro quite a bit, but it's the first time we've been all together in one place. I have 15 Brothers and Sisters with 3 deceased. Only one is younger than I, yet we just got to meet in 1993.  Yeah... I know; very confusing. I know because I lived it, lol. Yet, I love them ALL dearly and wouldn't trade how my life turned out- I am truly BLESSED!



   
     There's more going on, but let's get to the fun part first: TFJB Challenge: Sunday in the Park ! I've got two tons of photos to show you how I got the look, so let's just get started!



I began with just these items - and my artist rendering in my sketch book of what I wanted to do.
Later on, as you will notice, I ended up NOT using the older TH Thinlits Tropical. I really wanted that tree, but to keep the perspective correctly done, it just wasn't going to fit into the canvas.
I've had that TH Thinlits Die Paper Village since December and just now got to use it just for this.

The TH Paperie as well as some stash paper and the 8x10 canvas board.

I just SO LOVE that TH Kraft Stock paper!!
I cut out the shapes using 2 'larger houses' and one smaller- these are really TINY, all right.
I then cut them each down to what thickness of house I wanted to pop out from
the canvas board. The taller small house was going to be the first layer on the canvas,
so it would be completely flat using only one side and the roof to pop outward.
The next layer of (larger) house was 1/8 inch thick, and the last larger house was 1/4 inch thick.

After cutting, I sanded them.
I did make the 2 deeper houses just as you would normally- back and front....

...but I mixed up the cutting with my TH Tiny Scissors
by clipping and rearranging so that you could look into the windows and see the back wall.
Both layers of each house were the front of the paperie, not the craft side.

I inked them up and then heat dried before gluing together with Glossy Accents.

Next, I fussy cut some "water" out of the TH Kraft Stock- Cool... a dark blue.
Then I heavily spritzed water onto the paper and 
used Chipped Sapphire Distress Ink onto the raised side of 
a very old TH Embossing Folder Travel Signs to make waves. Then rubbed it in using my finger.
(Making waves...lol!) 

I used some Picket Fence Distress Ink to go all around the edges and
really rub that into the bottom of the water where it would meet the sand.
Heat dry between inks.
Then I applied Glossy Accents heavily on all the edges and hit it wih heat.
Let it BUBBLE! Then do the GA over the entire water piece. And heat heavily on those peaks.
It looks like bubbles of foaming waves. But it's not ready yet... 

... till I tipped the waves with some white gesso.
I went over all the bubbled areas with the gesso also.


Now came the SAND.
I did this from TH Warm Kraft Stock Stack- Warm.
First, I laid the water on top of the Kraft Stock so I could use the corner of my
TH Ink Blending Tool to gently mark out where the sand ended-
using Distress Oxide in Ground Espresso.
I highlighted the front bottom of the sand with DO Antique Linen.
That would be the focal point of my "people".
That dark line you see is where I wanted the waterline to meet the sand.
The water near the shore is usually darker because it's wet.

I got out some stash paper and started stacking up on the main TH Thinlits die The Park.
After I used Glossy Accents to stack about 3 cuts,
I used my TH Tiny Scissors to trim away from the folks that which they wouldn't need
in order to fit into clothes like this...


Use the base you just made to fit the clothes by fussy cutting.

The last part was making the "sky" out of another sheet of the TH Kraft Stock in light blue.
Running a bit of the DI Picket Fence back and forth across the sheet, allowed me to highlight it.

The three parts together really look GOOD- like what you'd see on the Emerald Coast.


This section is highlighting Tim Holtz's newest Thinlits Colorize Die: WOODGRAIN!

There was some discussion on Facebook's Tim Holtz Addicts page on how to save the instructions for the new Colorize line of TH Dies. I put in my 2cents worth and I'll show it here in photos.
To remind myself how the cuts of each die is assembled together, I use my iPhone 12Pro to take screenshots of certain parts that help me where I may be having a bit of trouble after first going through the video in full. I then file those photos with the make I did and I can run back through and reference it when I need to. The plus; I can refer to the photos as I work and not have to replay and replay and replay... you know the deal there. ;)






And, best of all; the dies themselves help you get your cuts into the right order.

Choosing the colors is a new experience, but very EASY to put together!

Here's my idea for this make: using some tossed out onion mesh (ORANGE color!)
to help the cut up Woodgrain look like sand dune barriers. And it worked!

Here's are 2 photos of the tools with some available tool links:





                                                 And HERE is the finished make; 
                                   I'm imagining myself back down in the South,
                                            at Beasly Park on the Emerald Coast!






After I took those photos, I sprinkled some water drops on top of the 
panel and swiped it off quickly- it puffed out some of the sky and sand,
which made it look all the more textured.
See how the light in my Craft Studio shined on the top?
It looks as if the sun is coming up in the morning and they are catching the wind!


Now it's YOUR TURN!
Even if the weather is not allowing you to get outside to a park, we all still have memories
of that place we loved to play in.  So get out your stamps, dies, mixed media or embellishments
that remind you of what you might see on a beautiful sunny day in the park.
Make a Tag, Panel, or even a 3D project and bring the outdoors into your craft space!
Don't forget to upload a photo of your make on
and YOU may win a $25 Gift Certificate from our Sponsor;


I had a WONDERFUL time up in Oswego, New York, spending time with our soon-not-to-be
youngest Grandbaby, Pecan (Jamie)! The kids have a lot of work yet to do on the house, but when
your kids all do everything on their own, it's nice to be able to give them extra help, and take
their kids for a time, so they can rest. I get the bonus end of it: time with my Grandbabies!
We all went to see Fort Ontario while we were there- no time for Niagra Falls just yet. The fort was definitely MY kind of thing! That Primitive Americana style is never going to go out of style in my home! I just LOVE HISTORY and am very lucky that my kids also love seeing how our past was lived.

We back-tracked in order to share Easter together- Jamie and his Memaw!

If you look closely, the chalk we did says "Jamie's House in New York!"

Got his first ride on Memaw's toy with Memaw.
Papaw brought it with to help take down trees in the backyard- they have a view of Lake Ontario!

Yep; my younger Son runs this!
(That's STEAM, folks. Chill; I hadda ask that myself, thinking that was pollution! lol)
It's the first time we've ever been able to see what a facility (where he works) looks like this close up.

Fort Ontario- a port city that took in thousands of Jewish refugees during the 1930s/1940s.
The refugees were housed here until they could secure other residence. 

Yeah... I LOVE this!!

This lock was as huge as my hand. 
Like my younger Daughter commented to me: "You're never getting out ALIVE with this!"

The beautiful younger NEW YORKERS!

Oh, yeah... and the Wave-Seeker!

The Baby Jamie Shark; our Wittle Pecan!

Pecan conked out while we ate Coney Dogs on the waterfront.

On our way back to Indiana, we had some GREAT news;
Holli had a 3D Ultrasound -those are cool, or what?!
We got to see our GrandDaughter's face!!
We also were told the name she has now. I'm plumped up my feathers to find out I guessed it!
But it just made sense and sounds so VERY CUTE!
I'll let you know... ;)
The SAD news we got was the death of one of my Nieces, Lyndia. She'd been through the wringer;
giving up her lower leg in order to help save her life over this past winter. I was told she
went into the hospital with blood clotting in the past few days. Since we know what that's like when the ChiefHubby went through it; how life-threatening that can be- prayers immediately were asked
for and went up. But GOD makes the final decision and Lyndia knew this. She was one heck of a brave - and so beautiful!- girl.... woman...Wife... and Mom.
I'll ask that anyone and everyone reading this:
the condolences are appreciated, but even MORE;
PLEASE PRAY FOR LYNDIA'S FAMILY. 
Prayer is powerful and works- she knew this also, and trusted in it. Thank you !!

Until next time...

Stay SAFE &
HAPPY BLOGGING!!






4 comments:

Suzanne C said...

First of all so sorry to hear about the loss of the special furbaby. I loved your brilliant inspired idea of the oldfashioned swim suits! So clever and the whole scene is fantastic. I actually started with kites in mind when I created my birds. I quickly shifted to a bird banner. :)

Janna Ketchum said...

What a beautiful project! I love the texture of the waves and the little beach houses. Such a wonderful scene!

Julia Aston said...

What a wonderful creative design - thanks for sharing all of your creation details!

sarascloset said...

What a fabulous make! I especially love the waves and those cute houses! It looks like you had a great time on your trip, but so sorry for the loss of a beloved furbaby (and a baby she was!) I'm also saddened to hear of the loss of your niece after such an ordeal. My prayers are certainly with her family. Sending a big hug your way.