Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Saturday, February 22, 2014

My First ALTERED BOOK: "photographic life", & Cabinet Cards, too!

      Amid the busy-ness and crazy-ness (my spelling is correct here when used in terms of our life) of the past week...  Fire meeting, CPR recertification, & ice jams causing the Wabash to flood all along the county, a water rescue amid all of that with my Chief and FFCaptSon both out doing all that while texting me to "stay put" here at home (which I DID obey-this time anyway) strange weather mixes of snow, fog, rain, sleet, and thunderstorms w lightening  causing the need for all the 'techy' items to be unplugged, only to go through the whole process again in a few hours   ...which I am very  thankful for, in any case. Especially when some lost belongings- and very nearly their LIFE- in all this ice-filled, fast-rushing water.
    Life hands you a boring lemon and you need to figure out that you have to take advantage of the chance you have and make some lemonade- even if you aren't thirsty for it at that moment. So when I had a chance to get to this project that has sat on my desk since I picked it up for a mere $1 on a trip south, I 'sorta' grabbed it. Actually, with a Dr appt...again....*groan* that I couldn't get out of this time, since the day before I had been totally bed-ridden with pain so badly, it got me crying even through all the 24 meds. And even worse; it makes it hard to communicate eg: concentrate enough to make the information in your brain come down and out of your mouth. And make SENSE, in the end of it all. So making the video was a challenge for me this time. Low fronts can do that and this one was a rough one. Just call me Living Barometer. Anyway...
    I'd actually looked forward to doing this ever since the FFCaptSon made an altered book his Sr Yr of HS. I'd stopped in and checked out all the books his class had made and was impressed with them. Very impressed since they 'told a story' using pictures and crafted paper items that were interactive- lots of 'doors' to open, or 'pull tab',etc. So now, when I see any others have done, I check them out! (And I still have Brian's too- tucked away with all his other keepsakes that will one day belong to his Future Wife- whomever she may be...there's a plug for a cute FF, Single Young Ladies!)
I learned a few things from this experience:
      1) Books never behave the way you want them to. I 
        already knew this from working for the kids' Elem  
        School's Librarian for many years. She'd taught me how
        to cover, repair, type-up cards for, file, and make out
        test questionaires for- and do anything else I am
        forgetting to add here- with/for books. Oh, yeah...
        they are especially great for READING! :D Snarky Gurl
        here. Our Purdue married couple will prob tease me with 
         "Mom TORTURED a BOOK!" because like me,
        they are huge readers. I am SO BLESSED that all of     
        our family LOVES to READ! Never understood it when I 
        met kids who DIDN'T like to read.
     2) When you think making an altered book is going to be
        easy because it LOOKS easy...go back up and read that 
        very first sentence of No.1.  :/
    With that all said, would I do another? OH YEAH!!! It was FUN! And I've already come up with an idea on a Pinterest Pin I've seen of a book of dolls. Like paper dolls. I'm thinking of perhaps a family or just one boy or girl with a dog, or cat, living in a dollhouse. With little outfits to dress with. That would put all my Sizzix Doll Body Die and all the coordinating clothing dies to a good use again. Maybe it will make a sweet child's gift...or whatever. It may be years till I get to it, but I will- when the inspiration hits me over the head like it did this past week.
    But hopefully, my Chief and Capt won't have as busy a week as they had THIS past week when I choose to do another book. :D
Here's another video that will show you some details on what I used and how I did mine. Plus, you'll see the Cabinet Cards inside. Come back and visit again soon ! Happy Blogging!
               

No comments: