T im Holtz has a bunch of new Alterations Dies that I can't wait to get my hands on! When I first saw the ones he debuted at Winter CHA in Jan, I saw just a few that I REALLY LOVED. But now that he's showing off some of them, I think I'll be adding to my Wish List! This one he used for a 'trellis' is really ADORABLE! But, alas, not only are the dies nowhere around my area (Logansport has NO CRAFT STORES AT ALL since JoAnn Fabrics left. Grrrr!!!), but I already had an idea for April that would somehow, in some way, be for our younger PURDUE Nuclear Engineering Son. Brett graduates on May 18th, and hopefully will be getting situated in whatever part of the country-or world- where a company will hire him. Our prayers are still being sent up after he's been through just three interviews. My thoughts along the line of my tag would be his four years at school in which he went from a young KID....to a MARRIED MAN. For this Mom, I will always still see their "baby face" when I look at them. But I am SO VERY PROUD of both my Sons and the wife one has- and the other will choose! And when I started looking through dies for ideas, my thoughts kept going back to all the photos I took -or MADE HIM take...hehe!- during that time. So I finally decided. And here's how it went:
I started out with choosing dies that would fit the photos I wanted to use. I ended up with three different sizes of 'filmstrip' available if I included some of the tiny filmstrip ribbon. I wish I had the Mini Filmstrip/Mini Tickets Strip Die, but I made do. My plan was to use everything I had, but match the techniques Tim was using.
I next began choosing colors and materials for my plan. I will say that at this point, I'd already decided to make my Tags (one for Brett & a duplicate for myself to keep) in a larger-than-usual size. I noted someone else did that on another blog, so that helped with the size of photos I wanted to print out copies of. I chose the size to be a little smaller than half page (4&1/4 in wide x 5&1/2 in tall), and then cut two sides for each so I could do both sides AND put a pocket into the middle of both for excess photos. By now, let's not kid around...this Mom takes PHOTOS. TONS. :D
S tarting on the backside of the tag, I cut out letters to a colored (Black Soot) grungepaper. Added some Rock Candy Crackle Paint over it to make it look as old as Purdue really IS- 1836! Then I started cutting out gears from grungeboard also. Using my alcohol inks and distress paints for color, then scratched/sanded them, and rubbed Distress Inks.