Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Frilly and Funkie Challenge #9; Re-Purpose, Re-Use, Re-Cycle..."Oh, We're Goin' For A Ride!"

     April is always a busy month because it usually includes an important holiday (Easter) as well as another birthday (Younger Son up in Red Wing). And that meant we took the weekend to go up to Minnesota to be with the Younger Set of Kids for a first-time visit since Thanksgiving. The weather there is about three weeks behind Indiana's, but it was unexpectedly warm and sunny while we were there! There were still the piles of die-hard snow, but not as noticeable since they were melting pretty fast, and covered with black dirt and rocks from months of plowing up. But since that last 16 inches of snow was just a couple of weeks ago; impressive! Even more impressive was being able to get a start on the yard work with the kids; helping move the pile of wood and finish cleanup of the Willow tree that crashed down (nearly to the backdoor) during a tornado last fall. (Holli had been alone, taking cover in the bathtub with the pups,and Brett at work, but everyone turned out ok, and now the yard is, too!) I really had hoped to get this posted and out before we left, but here I am- typing up as usual, at the last minute. *giggles*…*hut-hum*...Right. Aaaaanywaaay.
               The The Frilly and Funkie Challenge Blog has been really putting some CHALLENGE into these Challenges; this time is all about the Three Rs. No, not Reading, Writing, and Arithmatic...it's about helping our Earth: Re-Purpose, Re-Use, and Re-Cycle. Very fitting theme considering yesterday (April 22nd) was Earth Day. I am a firm believer in The Bible and a Creator GOD, so taking care of HIS Creation is very important to me. We have recycled as much as possible here, and we have passed that habit on to our kids. Picking out the packaging that can still be used for crafts is now a thing the ChiefHubby joins in with me on- always asking if I can use it before he puts it to the "Burn Pile" or the "Recycle Pile". I save up all my paper/craft trash into small piles used to start campfires or burning cut/fallen branches and leaves. So anytime I am cutting, I am also thinking ahead on how to best use those leftovers...down to the very last bit. My mind went straight away on this theme to a Re-Purpose; with something that just came into our home the very week before and the ChiefHubby started saving them for me, asking what I could make from them! Perfect timing!

            Before we look at my project, I must show you where the idea came from...  

Those of you fellow Baby Boomers will recognize this song.
And, new Grandparents like me, are probably singing this song
to their Grandbabies during any trip.
Wittle Peanut Grandson, Cole, absolutely LOVES cars and trucks, so this is "our song"
as well as my inspiration for this entire project!

Now, let's get to the project itself!

The ChiefHubby thrives on chewing gum. His favorite brand went from little 5 stick paper packs,
to larger 18 stick paper packs, to these new plastic containers. The plastic itself is much more
recyclable than the dozens of little brand-name-printed little papers that get tossed.
I was thinking of the song above and wondered what I could transform this into.... 

I began with cuts....and cuts....and cuts... and MORE cuts!
Using the Sizzix Doll Die and some older Sizzix Mini Doll Dies, I cut enough
MatBoard bases and enough regular Vanilla Cardstock to form a 2-sided body,
as well as all the Granddogs and our own Hunni Pi, for each member of our family.
Using Glossy Accents, I glued each half together to form very sturdy chip people.
The FRONT SIDES of each 'skin' was left out- that would come up next...

I then got onto my computer and found all the most recent photos taken of each person.
We are OVERDUE for a new full-family shot, and we'll likely get to that 
during our get-together at Mackinac Island in a rental house this summer!
I cropped and edited each photo until I got what I wanted to print onto my 
Dolls Template created file I use just for printed faces or funny faces for dolls.

Here is a printed sheet from my Doll Template- it allows me to match up a ready-cut-doll
and use it to help line up the face for a perfect matching cut from the Doll Die.
Be careful not to burn yourself on the lightbulb of your Studio desk lamp!

Here's all the Kids and Grandkids...in their Birthday Suits!! Hahaha!!

And here is what I did with them...

This is US!! Each Doll has been seal-coated in Glossy Accents (which lasts thru baby
*mumming* & chewing- already tested on a prior project).

The ChiefHubby and I with the (Older Set of Kids) Grandbabies, our HunniPi and a toy truck... 

...and the BACKSIDE of us.

The Older Set of Kids..with their kids and pups... FRONT SIDES...

...and BACKSIDES,

The Younger Set of kids and their pups...

...and the BACKSIDES.

So, you ask, what was REPURPOSED?

THIS!!
I was first going to use my Cricut to copy both sets of kids' travel-together vehicles,
but that got too complicated to make each set look the same.
Then it hit on me to make them look like my Grandpa Raymer's 1931 Durant
( Hemming's Classic Car magazine, April 2006, Volume 2,  Issue 7)
which was his pride and joy! He'd purchased it the year I was born in 1965 and that car
was pretty much a 'staple' in our lives: parades, car shows, etc.
The Tim Holtz Alterations Die Old Jalopy comes as close to this fond memory
that our own Sons remember very well! My choice fit perfectly- on the boxes also!!
I used black and white vinyl since I don't have a perfect COLOR match for that car.

And the doll sets fit into each 'car' for a game of "We're Goin' For A Ride!"
each set of us will get their own car, and mine will have each Grandchild in with us.
(And there's always time to make more whenever we get any more!! Hehe!)

This entire project was a bit time-consuming as far as cutting and sealing went.
But it will be totally worth it- just to see the look on Wittle Peanut's face when
he looks at his own doll! As new Princess Pistachio gets biggeer; she will be able
to recognize herself as well. *huge smiles*
I can see Cole 'running' his 'car' along the window- the safety of the smooth plastic
will keep the Parents' REAL CAR pretty untouched- Bonus!

I'll end this post with some shouts of "THANKS!" to:
1) All the WONDERFULLY SWEET Comments left to me from the
 (Alice in Wonderland- "Follow The White Rabbit") last Challenge.
The Younger English Edu Daughter loved it, as I was able to take it to her
over the past weekend- another perfect timer thing! And,
2) As always- The Funkie Junkie Boutique as the Sponsor of these Challenges-
Linda always seems to have what everyone needs, and I try to peek in
at least once a week to make plans for my next order & keep up with 
the latest TIM HOLTZ products coming out!
The PRIZE DRAWING for each Challenge: SO FUN to see a WINNER!!
3) YOU; MY READERS!! For taking the time to pop in and take a LOOKIE!

   PLEASE...

BE SAFE &
HAPPY BLOGGING!!







3 comments:

sarascloset said...

Lyla, what a creative, fun project! I love how you were able to recycle those plastic gum boxes into holders for your family dolls! This will be a fun game for the littles, I'm sure! Thank you, as always, for playing along with us at Frilly and Funkie! Hugs!

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Cute, cute, cute! I love the way you tapped into your memories and your imagination for this project. What a fun project! Thanks for sharing with us at the Frilly and Funkie "Re-Use, Re-Purpose, Re-Cycle" Challenge!

Jenny Marples said...

Oh Lyla it was SO worth all the time and effort you put in to creating those family dolls and Old Jalopy containers! Definitely a great way of re-purposing those gum containers and keeping the grandkids super happy for sure. Thank you as ever for sharing your imaginative creativity and joining us for this challenge at Frilly and Funkie xx