Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Year 2013 & Year 2014 2

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Tim Holtz Addicts of Facebook: #THA_APR Watercolor Resist...Easter LOVE

   
    Easter may be over, but I'm willing to bet most of you still have some Easter candy leftover. Oh. Ok, so maybe you still have some real boiled Easter Eggs left, then...likely. lol!
I tried to get this posted before leaving over the Easter Weekend to visit the Younger Set of Kids up in Red Wing, MN. But, as usual; best laid plans- and here I am. I think the theme still applies, though. In fact; it ought to apply even MORE on just the daily living we do, instead of only celebrating JESUS' death and Resurrection on one holiday of the year! So I feel confident posting this Tag after Easter, in that "The Easter Story" can be told any time of year. 
  

       Making this oversized Tag was actually a joy for me; I rarely just cut and paste so simply (other than on a computer program, that is). I wanted to keep it simple- again. This 'simplifying' is NOT easy for me to do, but I am challenging myself this year to do less tiny detail and add more color pops- the exact opposites of "my usual thing". Definitely easier said than done! There are a few techniques that Tim Holtz taught back during all the ten years of "The 12 Tags" that I wasn't reeeeeeally fond too of; embossing with chalk was -and still is- one, and water coloring is another. But, using RESIST ...however you choose- with Distress Paints, Resist Paperie, Tissue Tape, or in this case- stamping with Embossing Ink/Powder... is one of the techniques I found to be really FUN! And using the stamp/emboss method was my fave.

         Before we get started on the NEW, let's check out what the ORIGINAL Tag looked like:  

Tim's take on his July Tag used Water coloring, with Resist...

My take on Tim's followed his closely since I LOVED this Tag!!!
It's still one of my faves because my fave month is July- the 14 stands for our Anniversary.
You can see from the photos that I chose more muted shades than Tim.


Let's see what I came up with this time.


Here's that same 'Tuesday Morning' awesome deal on paper...
used yet again for this Tag.

And I knew I wanted to use the TH Alterations Dies Bunny, Butterfly and Bow,
 and it's partner; TH Alterations Movers and Shapers Mini Bunny.
I just got the TH Alterations Thinlits Set Detailed Mini Butterflies, and thought
I'd fussy-cut my own large egg, using the very-long-kept-not-used-in-a-while
TH Stamp Clear Stamp Set Urban Grunge for the Resist Technique.

As per Resist Technique: I chose the stamp and used VersaMark Embossing Ink (clear)
and some Paper Studio Embossing Powder (also in clear).
The TH Glass Mat comes in very handy when you want to perfectly line up a stamp
but need to keep moving the paper or the stamp up and down a lot like I did here.

The first egg: let's just assume this one was PRACTICE, lol!
Not only was this the very last sheet of water coloring paper from a very old tablet of such...
but it's good to have a go at practicing stamp line ups, before shooting for a nice one.
You'll notice that I did the process in bits...
1) Stamped the image ONCE
2) Applied Embossing Powder,
3) Heated Powder until melted,
and then repeated steps 1 to 3 over and over again until the entire egg was covered.
It didn't take as long as it sounds, either.

Here's the second egg: aka the one I wanted to use! hahaha!

And getting out my TH Distress Ink Markers... was a change from using 
TH Distress CRAYONS so much lately!
Then used the water brush to 'fan out' my lines of color from the Markers.


Resulted in this...

FRONT SIDE of Tag.

Closeup of Resist Water Coloring Technique and also
the Cross made from TH IdeaOlogy Letterpress- those little wooden letters
were the PERFECT TOUCH!
Instead of more Letterpress, I chose a TH Quote Chip edged
with Distress Paint in Tarnished Brass.

Closeup of the textures here- and a distressed/scraped Quote Token
(lettering done with Distress Paint in Picket Fence)
paired with TH Heart Charm, on a TH Jump Ring fastened with a TH Wire Pin-
all from the IdeaOlogy collections.
Also- I edged each piece with a co-ordinating TH Regular Distress Ink using
a Blending Tool.. just for a bit of dimension.

 The BACKSIDE:
where the fun part of me resides!
this is where the TH Alterations Dies  kinda...MULTIPLIED!

Closeup of... well, for real here...being DEAF is MY LIFE,
so getting some chuckles out of it, is allowed!!


TIM HOLTZ PRODUCTS USED:

Alterations Dies:    Bigz- Bunny, Butterfly, &Bow
                               Movers&Shapers- Mini Bunny
                                          Thinlits Set- Detailed Mini Butterflies

Stamps:            Clear Cling- Urban Grunge

        IdeaOlogy:      Heart Charm, Jump Ring, Letterpress, 
                             Quote Chip, Quote Token, Wire Pin, 

Ranger TH Distress Products:    Regular Distress Inks (various colors), Blending Tool,
                                                         Distress Ink Marker (Black Soot) with Marker Spritzer
                                                    Distress Paint (Tarnished Brass and Picket Fence)

THANKS! for stopping by once again, and a shoutout to all my fellow TH Addicts
for the constant AWESOME INSPIRATION from all the posts where so many
talented creative minds share their work and their ideas!!!
Most of all- thanks THA folks for admitting your ADDICTION.
I'm most definitely there with ya!!

Until next time...

BE SAFE &
HAPPY BLOGGING!!

UPDATE; Thanks, Everyone!!


1 comment:

sarascloset said...

Great take on the technique, Lyla! I love your original tag, too! I have yet to make my entry for this month--life is crazy busy right now! I hope you had a wonderful time visiting your kiddos and a very happy Easter! Hugs!